Question PC hanging on BIOS

Sep 3, 2023
Hey Guys,

All of a sudden, my PC is not booting. On turning it on, I see the ASUS splash screen, hear the single beep and then a black screen with a blinking cursor. When I try to enter the BIOS at the splash screen, the PC freezes with no response from my keyboard or mouse.

I thought maybe it could be a piece of hardware that's gone bad so I took it to one of my local shops to get it looked at. They said when they replaced the graphics card with some other GPU, the PC booted to windows and everything's normal so then I thought maybe the graphics card had gone bad. He then tested my graphics card on another PC with another motherboard and the card worked!!!

So my graphics card is working on other PCs and my PC is starting up and working with other GPUs but my PC isn't booting with my GPU! It was working fine before for a few years.

I have the latest BIOS that's been released for my motherboard. I have tried the following:

1. Flashing the motherboard BIOS back to a few previous versions using the EZ flash utility.
2. Clearing CMOS by disconnecting the power cable to the power supply, removing the battery and setting the jumpers to clear.
3. Tried reseating the GPU on the motherboard just to make sure it's not a seating issue

All with the same result of the PC just hanging in the same place as before.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I can do to get my PC back up?

Power Supply - 700W Cooler Master
Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
GPU - ASUS Geforce GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB DDR5
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz

Sep 3, 2023
Thanks for the welcome!

The power supply is a Cooler Master i700 - 700W 80 PLUS Bronze power supply that has only been in service for about 2 years.

I have also tried using a different pair of power connectors (6-pin and 8-pin) from the power supply to my GPU because the power supply came with additional connectors. That didn't work either.

Sep 3, 2023
It appears that you've done thorough troubleshooting. Since the PC boots with other GPUs and your graphics card works on other PCs, the issue likely lies in the compatibility between your ASUS GeForce GTX 770 and your motherboard or BIOS. Given that you've already updated the BIOS, cleared CMOS, and reseated the GPU, here's one additional step to consider:

Check for a GPU firmware update: Sometimes, GPU manufacturers release firmware updates that address compatibility issues. Visit the ASUS website and check if there are any firmware updates specifically for your GTX 770 model. If available, apply the update to see if it resolves the booting problem with your PC.

If the issue persists, it might be worthwhile to contact ASUS support for further assistance or consider upgrading to a more modern GPU that is fully compatible with your current system. Or if you are a gaming enthusiast feel free to visit Beachbuggyracingapk.com.

Hey I checked the ASUS website and saw there's a 2014 firmware update and a 2013 VBIOS update. I'm ready to try these to see if they will fix the problem but my motherboard doesn't have any onboard graphics that I can use to boot the PC and get to windows to do the installs.

Does anyone know how I can attempt to install these updates without having to boot the PC?