PC hard crashes during gaming

Zurko123

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
Details
My PC shuts off during gaming. This usually happens after my PC begins to run really slowly (start menu loads slowly, 15-20 FPS in game etc).
When it happens my screens are first to go off to black and I get a no signal message. After this my USB devices like the LEDs on my mouse and
keyboard go off along with the LEDs on the graphics card. Then some fan starts spinning up really loudly (not sure which one as the pc crashes just after this).
And finally, my PC turns off with an audible click from the PSU.

Games

My PC tends to only crash on the most demanding games I play like BF1 and rarely on CSGO.This particular crash first happened a couple of days ago
but since I bought a new RX 480 its been crashing through simple DirectX errors in Battlefield Hardline and Battlefield 1and also blue
screens with 'kernel power 41' errors.

Computer Specs

-Windows 10 64bit
-RX 480 G1 Gaming 4G @ stock speed
-i5 4690k @ stock speed
-G-Skill 8GB (4x2) Ripjaws X DDR3 2133mhz
-MSI Z97 Gaming 5
-Hyper 212 EVO
-Dual monitors
-Antec High Current Gamer 850w Bronze

Attempted Solutions (that failed)
-Using DDU to wipe all display drivers and then reinstalled them from AMD
-Using DDU to wipe all display drivers and then reinstalled them from Gigabyte
-Ran Microsoft memory diagnostic tool
-Ran Memtest86 (0 errors after 12 passes)
-Ran countless recommended registry cleaners
-Ran HD Tune Pro on my hdd with windows installed for a disk defrag and scanned for errors
-Ran overnight Malwarebytes scans and have Bitdefender so I'm pretty sure this isnt caused by a virus
-Checked PCI-E cables for all my hard drives and for my graphics card on both ends
-Checked CPU, RAM, and GPU temps while in game, all below 65 degrees celcius with GPU generally topping out at 60

Also, after checking the event logs I found that this crashed around the same time my PC shut off
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\XTREME GAMING ENGINE\AtiToo

Something to keep in mind is that my PC rarely crashed with my old GPU (R9 280) and now it crashes 2-3 times a week.
After going through and reading endless forum posts with a useless OP who never responds i'd like to try and get some
answers and fix this PC.

It goes without saying that if you experience when playing a game, or any game after a set amount of time Zurko.

That if the frame rate of the game drops radically down to what you say it does 20 Fps.

Your problem is between the graphics card and the gpu on the RX 480 card running or getting to hot.
Where it will down clock the core speed of the Gpu it`s self to cool the Gpu off.

Or that the problem is with the intel i5 Cpu you also have as part of the system doing the same thing.
Again if the I5 cpu gets to hot it will reduce the core clock speed from the maximum it is set to or can run at based on the model number of the i5 4690k @ 3.9 Ghz to be precise stock speed.

To as low as 800Mhz clock speed in order to reduce high heat buildup of the cpu Zurko.

So you need to check if it is the cpu or Gpu on the RX 480 graphics card causing the problem for you Zurko.

Download Gpu Z and Cpu Z., install them on your system then run both programs.

You will see a tick box in each program that says log temps to a file, tick the check box found in Cpu Z and also Gpu Z.

Set the save point for the logging txt files to the route of your drive for both programs IE: C:\.

Play a Game untill the frame rate drops to 15 fps or 20 fps Zurko.
If the system crashes.

Restart it and reload windows again.

And check both temp .txt log files on the C: drive.

To see how hot the Gpu or the Cpu got.
Cpu z will also tell you when you hit the low fps mark in a game at 15 to 20 Fps what frequency the cpu was running at in an effort to reduce heat out put.

What it means then.

Is you lack enough internal cooling of the case.
As a test you can remove the side panel of the system tower to see if it helps with lower temps and cooling, or venting of hot air from the system case.

As said it means you need better air flow in your system case via adding extra system fans Zurko.

Or that the Evo 212 cpu cooler has been fitted wrong, and or the right amount of thermal compound used is too much or too little.
If you find very high cpu temps reported above 60c say around the 86c to 90c mark.

Ok .

Zurko123

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Okay first off thanks for the quick replies,

So I ran HWInfo and recorded this log. Towards the end of it I begin experiencing heavy stuttering but maintain 40-60 FPS but then it drop off to 24-30 FPS before crashing the same way as I've described before. One thing I noticed was that when I stared at the ground compared to looking ahead, the FPS didnt change at all.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yhbhbn3b2hcq7vh/Log_1.CSV

Can you upload logs directly to here or does it have to go through something like mediafire?

From the readings of your log it seems to be a PSU problem, your vcore drops way too low towards the end of the log but most importantly your GPU Core Current, GPU Core Power, GPU Chip Power, GPU Clock, Memory Clock and GPU Utilization they all drop down to 0% usage or less than 10W.

Your GPU should use 100W stable while you play, seems like the PSU fails at handling your CPU + GPU loads and eventually it practically "shut downs" the GPU leading to the eventual pc crash you're experiencing.

There's the chance that its a GPU problem, but seeing that the vcore (CPU) is also affected, it seems your PSU is the culprit.

Zurko123

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply

Are there any tests I could run to be more confident that is the issue, that I need a new PSU considering I bought it around 8 months ago?

It's a tricky situation, your best option is to either borrow a good PSU and test your system with it, or to test your GPU in another pc (which anyways should have a good PSU as well) and see how it fares.

If neither of those is an option, you could stress test your GPU with Furmark, if the PSU is able to handle only the GPU without the CPU being stressed in this scenario, there shouldn't be any errors.

Zurko123

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

I have a CX500 PSU left over from a previous build which didnt have any issues. Do you think I could use that for my current PC or would the wattage be too low and it would crash anyway?