[SOLVED] PC hard freeze after finishing a match/OCCT Test

Mar 1, 2022
Hey guys, I came here because I don't know where else to ask really.

I built a PC like 8 months ago (all brand new parts). It was working like a charm until like 2 months ago when it started to hard freeze, forcing me to hard reboot because it doesn't matter how long I wait, it doesn't give a BSOD.

The freeze usually happens after I finish a League of Legends match (sometimes it freezes in the middle of the match, but most of the time at the end, when the game closes and goes back to the client).

I used OCCT system test but it hard freezes after cancelling the test or finishing it (it doesn't matter if I run it for a minute or an hour, the freeze happens exactly 2 seconds after it finishes)

I'll number the things I did to troubleshoot:

1.- I clean installed windows 10 again. Same problem even with the bare minimum apps installed.

2.- I thougt it might be a PSU problem (Seasonic CORE-GM-650) so I bought I new one (EVGA 600 W2) . I feel like this worked for like a day or two without problems, and then the freeze came back.

3.- I tried OCCT but everytime I cancel the test or finish it, PC hard freezes (it doesn't matter if I run it for a minute or an hour, the freeze happens exactly 2 seconds after it finishes) .

4.- I removed 1 ram stick and tested with mem86 (4 passes/2 hours) and found 0 errors. Since that ram should work well I tried OCCT again with only that stick, but the same problem.

5.- I used the event viewer and I have critical errors associated to Kernel-Power. It says something like "This error can occur if the system is not responding or if the power supply has been blocked or interrupted suddenly" (I have my OS in Spanish, so sorry if the message is not accurately translated)

The setup is:

GTX1660 SUPER
I7 10th gen (water-cooled with a Cougar Aqua 240)
2x 8GB Hyperx Ram at 2933mhz
1st PSU was a Seasonic CORE-GM-650 (650w)
2nd PSU is a EVGA 600 W2 silver
SSD is a Samsung 980 pro
MOBO is a Gigabyte B560M DS3H, BIOS version F7 (Windows 10 Version is 19044.1526 )

Solution

I built a PC like 8 months ago (all brand new parts). It was working like a charm until like 2 months ago when it started to hard freeze, forcing me to hard reboot because it doesn't matter how long I wait, it doesn't give a BSOD.

The freeze usually happens after I finish a League of Legends match (sometimes it freezes in the middle of the match, but most of the time at the end, when the game closes and goes back to the client).

I used OCCT system test but it hard freezes after cancelling the test or finishing it (it doesn't matter if I run it for a minute or an hour, the freeze happens exactly 2 seconds after it finishes)

I'll number the things I did to...

I'll number the things I did to troubleshoot:

1.- I clean installed windows 10 again. Same problem even with the bare minimum apps installed.

2.- I thougt it might be a PSU problem (Seasonic CORE-GM-650) so I bought I new one (EVGA 600 W2) . I feel like this worked for like a day or two without problems, and then the freeze came back.

3.- I tried OCCT but everytime I cancel the test or finish it, PC hard freezes (it doesn't matter if I run it for a minute or an hour, the freeze happens exactly 2 seconds after it finishes) .

4.- I removed 1 ram stick and tested with mem86 (4 passes/2 hours) and found 0 errors. Since that ram should work well I tried OCCT again with only that stick, but the same problem.

5.- I used the event viewer and I have critical errors associated to Kernel-Power. It says something like "This error can occur if the system is not responding or if the power supply has been blocked or interrupted suddenly" (I have my OS in Spanish, so sorry if the message is not accurately translated)

The setup is:

GTX1660 SUPER
I7 10th gen (water-cooled with a Cougar Aqua 240)
2x 8GB Hyperx Ram at 2933mhz
1st PSU was a Seasonic CORE-GM-650 (650w)
2nd PSU is a EVGA 600 W2 silver
SSD is a Samsung 980 pro
MOBO is a Gigabyte B560M DS3H, BIOS version F7 (Windows 10 Version is 19044.1526 )
try this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, Flash this bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, IO Drivers, and ME Driver, then reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 1, 2022
Will try
try this steo by step in order (read till end):
  • Make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• restart the pc to bios, Flash this bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, IO Drivers, and ME Driver, then reboot, and then connect to internet.

• Install the latest gpu driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Will try this. Thanks

Reactions: Koekieezz

TRENDING THREADS