[SOLVED] PC hard freezes under load

Qman87765

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
I've been having this issue for months where my PC would hard freeze under load. It used to be that it would freeze infrequently, then once a day, then multiple times each day. Now any game is unplayable. My machine was 5 years old at that point and I just figured it was a dying component, so I bought a new prebuilt that was on sale at MC. I had to use my old GPU until I could get a new one. The issue persisted, but I assumed I had pinpointed it to the GPU since it was the only old part.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I have a new GPU and I'm still having the freezing issue and it keeps getting worse. I buy a new PSU because the original one was under spec. I plug it in today. Same issue. I feel like I've been banging my head against the wall for months

Here are the specs:

CPU: i7-9700k
RAM: 2x8 GB Neo Forza 3200 MHz
GPU: Asus DUAL OC RTX 3070
MOBO: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S/ac
PSU: Corsair RM850x 80+ Gold
Storage: 1x Intel NVMe 512 GB M.2 (Has the OS)
1x Crucial SATA 1TB SSD

Every part in the PC is now new and was never in my old PC. I have tried different outlets, getting a new surge protector, new HDMI and DP cables along with the obvious reinstalling windows, drivers, etc. Nothing seems to work. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I do monitor temps, always 70ish on GPU and 55ish on the CPU when it freezes.

Last edited:
Solution
Posting the solution in case it helps people. Basically the BIOS settings weren't giving the CPU enough voltage when my 9700k would boost clock in games, causing my system to freeze. I increased the voltage setting and it fixed my issue!

Really obscure issue considering that's how the PC shipped. Hope this helps people.

Qman87765

Honorable
Aug 2, 2014
Posting the solution in case it helps people. Basically the BIOS settings weren't giving the CPU enough voltage when my 9700k would boost clock in games, causing my system to freeze. I increased the voltage setting and it fixed my issue!

Really obscure issue considering that's how the PC shipped. Hope this helps people.

Solution