Question PC hard freezing while gaming

Nov 10, 2022
Hello,

I built an all-AMD PC a few months ago featuring a Ryzen 5600x and an RX 6600 XT GPU. I occasionally experience the system hard-freezing while gaming. There is no blue screen and I am forced to hold the power button on the machine to reboot it. At first, I thought that this was a hardware issue, but I soon noticed that after wiping the AMD drivers and reinstalling them, the freezing stops and the system is fine for 3-4 weeks. After a few weeks of experiencing no freezing, the freezes return. Again, I wipe and reinstall the AMD drivers, the freezing stops and everything is seemingly fine for a few weeks. I know freezes are difficult to diagnose and they can be caused by a myriad of issues. But based on my experiences, it seems like it's something with the GPU driver becoming corrupted/incompatible? It just seems too coincidental that the freezing stops for a few weeks every time I wipe and reinstall the GPU drivers. Any idea why this could be happening? I'm about ready to just buy a Nvidia card.

Nov 10, 2022
What is the power supply in this build?

Check Event Viewer and Reliability History to see what is popping up for event codes and such.

The PSU is a Corsair RMX 750 watt. I've checked for error codes and problems. Other than the critical kernel power error from hard rebooting, I can't find anything that suggests that there's a problem.

Reactions: punkncat