PC hard freezing with audio loop after updating to Anniversary Update

nalfylatino87

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
I am rather worried about a problem I seem to be having with my PC as after updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I seem to be experiencing random hard freezes which cause my pc to flat out freeze with a sound loop. I reset the system, but it does not even make it to the Windows 10 screen (I either get a black screen after bios, or another hard freeze with sound loop). If I turn off my system for a few seconds, then manually turn it back on again, everything is fine then. I was playing Sims 4 for a couple of hours, and then randomly my system would crash with the sound loop. It also did it when I was watching a Youtube video.

I have tried doing a repair install twice (I lost my ability to revert back to old installation as my son deleted all the folders!). But the system is still hanging. I have stopped overclocking my 4790K and put it back to stock clocks, my GTX 1080 is not overclocked at the moment either. I did upgrade to new 2400mhz ram sticks, and although it would be easy to assume its them, I have had these ram sticks for a week before updating, and never experienced hard crashes whilst on the previous installation of windows pre-anniversary update. I have updated my Nvidia drivers twice, and have even gone as far as to scan my pc for malware (which I have none at the moment). I don't know whether I am an isolated case here, or whether this is happening to some people as well. Would it be worth it to re-install Windows 10 completely from scratch? I wish I did not have to do that I have many games and apps installed and would take me forever do re-install everything.

Again, its strange. I never experienced these issues before anniversary update.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,
There are lots of things that can become corrupted with major upgrades, like going from win-7 to win-10, or even from windows 10 1511 to 1607. Many apps are migrated instead of just using them as is or updating needed files. The problems are very common. Just check your Event Viewer to see logged errors since the Anniversary upgrade.

That is where the reversion back to the earlier version is so important as a choice.
Couple of things to do at this point: Check in the Action center maintenance section and if any drivers were only partially updated, there is a button to complete the updates. Also check the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow triangular errors that need addressing. And lastly, might consider updating your MB BIOS to the most recent Stable version.

Then if you are still having the same issues, you can download an ISO version of Anniversary using their Media Creation Tool, and cleanly install the latest version of Win-10. MS keeps a record of your Win-10 license, so that is not an issue. Unfortunately that means reinstalling all your 3rd party programs. We've all been there, and it can take several days, but at least you then have a "clean installation" that won't go thru another major reversion for quite a while.

nalfylatino87

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Hi, I have gone through rigorous steps in order to find the problem, and did manage to nail it down to a bad stick of ram. I tested one stick at a time and had many errors using memtest86. I replaced the ram and have not had any issues ever since, so it seems I got lucky! Thanks for the help anyways.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Very lucky!!! Windows 10 does have now a memory testing app, very similar to memtest 86, if there is a concern about memory. Also reinforces the old adage what's changed recently" as a go to check for the problem.

Have fun with you new OS.