Question PC hard freezing

Oct 29, 2022
Hey everyone, I’m having an issue that I’ve tried resolving but at this point I’m stumped. System specs are as follows:

Built in 2019
I7-9700k
RTX 2060 6g
Z390 Pro4
32gb ddr4 4000
1000w 80+ gold psu

For the last few weeks my PC has been hard freezing after 15-45 minutes of gaming. My only option after that is to shut it down via the button on the case. When it freezes I have zero input and when I check the error logs it never throws any error codes. I initially thought it might be a driver issue so I made sure each driver was up to date and removed and reinstalled the latest nvidia driver.

Next I thought it could be my RAM because I noticed it was at around 90% usage while gaming so I upgraded it from 16g ddr4 2400 to 32g ddr4 4000. Same problem.

Then I decided it could be a power issue so I upgraded my 450w bronze psu to a 1000w 80+ gold (I know this is overpowered but I am planning on upgrading my whole system next year so I figured I would get a good PSU).

When the system freezes, I monitor on NZXT CAM. There is no substantial system load (GPU at 80%, CPU at 60% and temperatures of both in the 60’s-70’s. There are no errors reported, system doesn’t blue screen, no beeping or stuttering, no artifacts.
HELP

Last edited:

dennisr48

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I had a somewhat similar problem. Vexed me for months. I put together a gaming pc. Initially it worked fine but then I experienced hard freezing. This was a complete hardware freeze that required a hard power reboot. The freeze ups continued randomly about once every 2 or 3 days. I tried every type of troubleshooting software I could run but everything seemed to check out fine. I finally tried a different brand of memory - no effect. Next I bought another SSD, a Samsung 970 model 2T, cloned it and swapped out the Samsung 980 Pro. After that, the freeze ups stopped. In my case, seemed clear to me the cause of the problem was the Samsung 980. Of course, there are other possibilities but your problem seemed close enough that I thought I'd share my experience.