Pc hard-locks -> some fans turn into max speed

Jan 22, 2019
So I'm not really sure what causes this issue. Every so often while my pc is on load the video signal ends and it starts to sound like a vacuum. The computer won't shut down from the power button so I've had to use the power supply switch. This is kinda scary because I had set current capability to 140% and just recently had a thought that does power switch shut-down cause over-current up to that 140% that would f*** things up even more.

So does anyone know what could cause this? Is it possible for transistors to blow up in a way that wouldn't necessarily make the pc completely unusable or is it possible for the VRM components / powersupply to get damaged under these conditions. Or is it possible that my 2080 ti is bad? If that, could overclocking through Precision X1 cause this?

I don't know does this matter but I set my overclocks to default values to check if they could've caused this - surprise! - under these conditions the crash happened almost immediately when I went to desktop. Some minutes ago I opened my case and switched dimm's from slots 2-4 to 1-3 and switched gpu from 1st pci slot to the 2nd and overclocked the system values to the ones I've had the most luck with before:

CPU - 3.7 GHz with manual 1.35 v
Memory - 3800 MHz with manual 1.175 v SOC, (+ loosened timings)
Current capabilities to 130% and no LLC

Currently I don't seem to have the issue but I haven't done any long performance heavy tasks yet.

Pc specs

Mobo - PRIME X370-PRO
CPU - Ryzen 1600 (w/ the included cooler)
RAM - Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 C16
Powersupply - Corsair TX750M
GPU - RTX 2080 ti FE
Extra cooling - nothing fancy / worth mentioning
Monitor - Samsung CF791

Jan 22, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nymic.lamac : "Pc soft/hard-locks and fans turn into a vacuum cleaner"

Sorry for the duplicate post - overclocking might not be the place for this D;

So I'm not really sure what causes this issue. Every so often while my pc is on load the video signal ends and it starts to sound like a vacuum. The computer won't shut down from the power button so I've had to use the power supply switch. This is kinda scary because I had set current capability to 140% and just recently had a thought that does power switch shut-down cause over-current up to that 140% that would f*** things up even more.

So does anyone know what could cause this? Is it possible for transistors to blow up in a way that wouldn't necessarily make the pc completely unusable or is it possible for the VRM components / powersupply to get damaged under these conditions. Or is it possible that my 2080 ti is bad? If that, could overclocking through Precision X1 cause this?

I don't know does this matter but I set my overclocks to default values to check if they could've caused this - surprise! - under these conditions the crash happened almost immediately when I went to desktop. Some minutes ago I opened my case and switched dimm's from slots 2-4 to 1-3 and switched gpu from 1st pci slot to the 2nd and overclocked the system values to the ones I've had the most luck with before:

CPU - 3.7 GHz with manual 1.35 v
Memory - 3800 MHz with manual 1.175 v SOC, (+ loosened timings)
Current capabilities to 130% and no LLC

Currently I don't seem to have the issue but I haven't done any long performance heavy tasks yet.

Pc specs

Mobo - PRIME X370-PRO
CPU - Ryzen 1600 (w/ the included cooler)
RAM - Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 C16
Powersupply - Corsair TX750M
GPU - RTX 2080 ti FE
Extra cooling - nothing fancy / worth mentioning
Monitor - Samsung CF791

Jan 22, 2019
Guess this validates my thought that even the "enthusiasts" at Tom's hardware belong to the commonfolk category that only know the very basics about computing that you can learn in couple hours... ffs

Whatever. Will be replacing cpu-motherboard-ram when the 3000 series launches.