Question PC hard reboots randomly

Aug 11, 2019
Just ran into this problem recently. Hardware is about six years old so its definitely due for an upgrade. I am thinking it is the motherboard failing, as my bios is reading the following:

Vcore 1.040 V
12 V: 12.091 V
5 V : 5.064 V
3V : 3.328 V

I am planning on completely replacing the motherboard as well as the CPU and ram, but I want to see your opinions on if the PSU is at fault. I dont see the sense in replacing the PSU as well if it is fine, as those ratings seem spot on to me. Also ran memtest on the ram, which passed perfectly, as that was my initial thought with these symptoms.

Specs:
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
GPU: GTX 1070 (Recently upgraded)

Looking forward to your responses

DUAL33s

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Is your RAM overclocked? I had this same exact issue with my system after overclocking my FlareX 3200 CL14 to 3466mhz with tighter timings. It would run fine during gaming sessions and normal workloads, but then if I let it sit and idle for 10 or 20mins it would sometimes hard reset and also reset all of my bios settings to default as well. Switching from a manual DDR4 overclock to an XMP profile seems to have fixed the issue.

PS - my manual overclock also passed memtest..so i dont know what the exact issue was. Could've been voltage settings?

Aug 11, 2019
I have not touched any overclock settings on the PC. I can go ahead and check the BIOS to verify nothing has been touched, but I don't recall overclocking the RAM. Its really odd, because it will reboot in any scenario. Whether its under heavy load, sometimes during boot, or while watching youtube.