PC Hard Restart - Gaming / FurMark + Chrome/Edge

michael.culvenor

Reputable
Jan 22, 2018
Hi all,

I'm experiencing hard restarts while gaming. Have tried Insurgency/BF4/Squad with the same results. Capping the frame rate seems to extend how long the game can run, however still crashes eventually on Squad.

I used FurMark to check my GPU instead of a game, the same thing happens. Hard restart between 5-15 minutes on average.

To make things more strange, the combination of a game/Furmark + Chrome / Microsoft edge yields an instant restart.

What I have tried
- Prime 95 / AIDA - CPU Temperature in the 50s under full load - seems normal
- FurMark / Gaming - GPU temperature in the 70s under full load (temperature does not change the crash behavior, if I launch Furmark and chrome on a cold GPU it still restarts)
- Memtest86 - Full pass twice - no results
- Uninstalled and reinstalled all graphics drivers
- Checked PSU voltages - all within the 10% tolerance even while under load (HWMonitor)
- Checked internal cables for loose connection

I suspect it is a hardware issue with GPU or PSU. Is there any way to test these components further without having to buy replacements? I don't know how I could acquire spares to swap out without buying more.

If anyone has any ideas of further testing, please let me know. Specs are below

Thanks, Michael

SPECS:
i5-4670k
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H
Noctua NH-D15
Corsair CX750M Bronze
Kingston Hyper X 2x4Gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Gigabyte GTX770 Windforce 2gb
Samsung 850EVO 500gb

If you have a mate who a recent PSU or a PSU of good quality, swap it out and see. If it works, then you know that your old PSU is the culprit. Otherwise, there really is no solid way to test whether it is dying.

michael.culvenor

Reputable
Jan 22, 2018

Thanks, I was hoping for a way to test without another psu but I will look into that, looks like its the only way