Question PC Hard Shutdown under heavy load (Rainbow 6 Siege)

Jun 24, 2019
Hey guys,
I've been having shutdowns after around 15 minutes of gameplay on rainbow 6. Here are my specs: i7 930 OC to 3.60GHz, 12 gigs of DDR3, Asus Strix R7 370 GPU, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.7, Intel 545 series 250gig SSD, WD BLUE 500gig hard drive. I replaced my Enermax Pro 82+ 625W PSU for a EVGA 650BQ one that I thought would solve the issue because the Enermax unit had seen several computers. However the problem continues, and it's specific to Rainbow 6, with core temps in the low 80s and GPU in the mid 70s. I'm running a Hyper T4 cooler with recent thermal paste, and my fans and heat sinks are clean. Any help would be really appreciated!

BeauJet

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Your card is a 4GB or 2GB model? If so, running high settings can cause crashes, or it could be a overheating issue. Try checking temps while running the game again.

Jun 24, 2019
It's not a cooling or overclocking issue. Clocked my i7 down to stock and it still crashed 5 minutes in to gameplay. I also removed the side panels and played with a window fan keeping thermals under 40 degrees GPU and CPU. Is it possible my motherboard or cpu is going bad?

Jun 24, 2019
Hello all,
I posted about this on the PSU part of the forum, but didn't get a problem-solving reply. A few days ago I started having seemingly random shutdowns out of the blue while playing rainbow 6. No BIOS codes, no overheating warnings, no nothing.
My Specs:
i7 930 OC @3.66ghz, Hyper T4 Cooler,
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R rev 1.7 motherboard
12 Gigs DDR3 HyperX @1333
Asus Strix R7 370 4Gig
Intel 545s 250gig SSD, WD Blue 500Gig IDE

My father and I thought it was a PSU issue, so I replaced my aging Enermax 82+ 625W unit for a EVGA 650BQ PSU. Problem solved, or so I thought.

Then the issue pursuaded, so I tried many different things that I thought could regulate my issue, such as increasing cooling flow using a window fan to see if it was a temperature problem, reduced my overclock to stock, replaced the thermal paste in both my CPU and GPU with Arctic Silver 5, to no result.

While gaming, my CPU sits in the low-80s, and my GPU hovers around the 70 mark.

Weirdly, once the most recent shutdown occurred, the motherboard and GPU lights didn't come back on until about 30 seconds later, as if the PC had been unplugged, something I haven't noticed before now.

I am out of ideas on how to diagnose or repair this problem, considering just upgrading my MB and CPU.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Year and half ago my computer was shutting down randomly and i replaced the PSU and it still carried on and then when i bought a new motherboard never seen the problem again . I still dont know what made it reset because my cpu temps were fine but to be honest my i9 9000k gets really hot during games but my temps are 60-70 while gaming. So i would try and get those temps down by checking the fans speed or speed them up and try playing the game!. Other people may have said before that overheating can make your computer restart for its protection!

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of your motherboard. Are you on the latest BIOS for the motherboard? What OS are you on? If you do upgrade the CPU and the board, you're also going to need new ram(if the latest platform, then a DDR4-3200Mhz dual channel ram kit).

TRENDING THREADS