Question pc hardware causing lag?

Jul 18, 2019
Im new to pc bulding so i dont know if my question is stupid or not but i recently built a rtx 2080/ i9 / 32gb/rog maximus x mb and ever since i've started gaming on it (csgo) i'm apparently lagging for everyone except for me. all research says this is packet loss and not lag but every test i do says 0 loss 0 jitter and <50 ping at all times. ive got my old pc sitting right next to each other and that runs fine so the wifi isnt the problem (Ethernet not an option for me) any help would be appreciated

Was this a fresh installation of Windows or did you bring a harddrvie over form an older PC?

Did you install all the necessary drivers? GPU, LAN, Chipset, etc? These are all on your motherboards manufacturer support web-page. Don't rely on Windows to get drivers, either they are out of date or a generic driver.

Is all your hardware showing up correctly in Windows?

Reactions: gn842a

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Sounds like some pretty classy top tier and power hungry set up.

1. So tell us about the psu.
  2. I only have ASUS experience but I can tell you that the RAM was not set to the correct speed till I went into the UEFI (BIOS) and flipped the choice from default to DCOP. You have an intel system so it's not going to be the same but you would want to check that here with someone who knows the mobo.
  3. If you have slow RAM, say DDR4 1600, you could end up bottlenecking your gaming. Data being put out by the gpu faster than the rest of the system can process it, etc.

...and follow richiestang's advice.

Jul 18, 2019
jesus guys i said im new to pc bulding all these big abbreviated phrases. firstly to answer @richiestang_78 i bought a completly fresh windows off a website for like £7. all official though and i have no clue what a chipset and lan driver is but i guess i can google that. as for @gn842a my psu is CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified and i overclocked my ram because someone told me that it doesnt actually run at 3200mhz. also the motherboard is XI not X my mistake

Last edited:
@richiestang_78 where do i extract the files to? and sorry for being such a scrub when it comes to all this and thanks for the help also

Just download them to your downloads folder, extract them there and run the installers. You can then delete everything after that.

For the Nvidia drivers I tend to use the customized installation as I hate the Geforce Experience (their all in one update/streaming/recording etc app which makes you have to make an account to use) and only install the Nvidia Drivers and PhysX. Then update my graphcis drivers manually like this each time, but you can choose the other way if you prefer automation.

Jul 18, 2019
Just download them to your downloads folder, extract them there and run the installers. You can then delete everything after that.

For the Nvidia drivers I tend to use the customized installation as I hate the Geforce Experience (their all in one update/streaming/recording etc app which makes you have to make an account to use) and only install the Nvidia Drivers and PhysX. Then update my graphcis drivers manually like this each time, but you can choose the other way if you prefer automation.
thanks you. :) i'll download all these and go to bed, fingers crossed everything will be alright tomorrow. final question though. on these drivers it has the option to repair or modify. im guessing repair is the right option?

If you are getting that option then it means that driver is already installed.

I would skip the ones giving you that message for the time being until you know you have all the drivers you need installed. If the issue still happens then you can try and resintall/repair the currently installed driver.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
jesus guys i said im new to pc bulding all these big abbreviated phrases. firstly to answer @richiestang_78 i bought a completely fresh windows off a website for like £7. all official though and i have no clue what a chipset and lan driver is but i guess i can google that. as for @gn842a my psu is CORSAIR RM850x 80+ Gold Certified and i overclocked my ram because someone told me that it doesnt actually run at 3200mhz. also the motherboard is XI not X my mistake

That sounds like a good PSU. You and the "somebody" who told you are correct that the RAM doesn't actually run at 3200 mHz. Having never myself been a pro at overclocking, I let the defaults provided in my UEFI/BIOS do the job. So the question is whether you were doing the settings manually, with a potential for making a mistake (which would be my situation) or whether there is a very easy setting for noobs that takes care of it for you (what I did, do).

To have the BIOS/UEFI (UEFI is just a more up to date name for BIOS) keep the changes you make the usual procedure is to hit F10 which will save changes and toss you out of BIOS into a boot up of the system. It is possible that you went through the trouble of setting the overclock speeds for the RAM and maybe forgot to save the changes?

You might also have an option to set your fans to an automatic routine where the BIOS will pretty much keep the fans low unless there is a need to increase fan speed. This might be relevant to your issue since if the system is overheating it might display some of the inefficiences you describe.

By the by I'm only marginally less of a noob. Part of what got me through my most recent build is (a) the people here and (b) these two videos from Newegg. I went through part II twice, once just watching it and the second time stopping it and taking notes. I also looked up terms like chipset. It's a bunch of chips 'n' stuff that are on the mobo and help make your cpu and gpu work. Read wiki link for the more formal definition.

Hope that helps,

Greg N

Jul 18, 2019
That sounds like a good PSU. You and the "somebody" who told you are correct that the RAM doesn't actually run at 3200 mHz. Having never myself been a pro at overclocking, I let the defaults provided in my UEFI/BIOS do the job. So the question is whether you were doing the settings manually, with a potential for making a mistake (which would be my situation) or whether there is a very easy setting for noobs that takes care of it for you (what I did, do).

To have the BIOS/UEFI (UEFI is just a more up to date name for BIOS) keep the changes you make the usual procedure is to hit F10 which will save changes and toss you out of BIOS into a boot up of the system. It is possible that you went through the trouble of setting the overclock speeds for the RAM and maybe forgot to save the changes?

You might also have an option to set your fans to an automatic routine where the BIOS will pretty much keep the fans low unless there is a need to increase fan speed. This might be relevant to your issue since if the system is overheating it might display some of the inefficiences you describe.

By the by I'm only marginally less of a noob. Part of what got me through my most recent build is (a) the people here and (b) these two videos from Newegg. I went through part II twice, once just watching it and the second time stopping it and taking notes. I also looked up terms like chipset. It's a bunch of chips 'n' stuff that are on the mobo and help make your cpu and gpu work. Read wiki link for the more formal definition.

Hope that helps,

Greg N
sorry for the late reply. As far as temps go my CPU/GPU are very normal temps when idle or during high load according to the CAM software and i know for a fact that my ram is running at the base 3200MHz because i downloaded test bench and it said it was in the 96 percentile. all my other hardware was in the 90's aswell part from the hard drive/2x SSD's for some reason. The Fans also are set to performance mode (also through CAM) so everything temp wise is configured. i'll be sure to have another look through my bois just to make sure. thanks for the info.

@richiestang_78 sorry for dragging you into this again but updating the drivers still didnt work because the first game on, everyone called me out saying im playing with 10fps on a potato pc. any other recommendations?