Question PC hardware issue

Apr 20, 2019
Hello, I built a computer a few months ago. I never completed a COMPTIA a+ book to troubleshoot the problem myself, so I need help from someone that is knowledgeable about windows based desktop gaming pc's. Before I explain my issue, ill post my specs. I have done absolutely no overclocking and everything is default speed.

Intel Core i7 9700k coffee lake
8gb ddr4 2666 ram
zotac gaming rtx 2080 amp extreme
windows 10
ASUS ROG Strix z390-E motherboard
EVGA supernova 850 watt T2

My problem is when I am not only gaming, but even when I am watching tube videos or just about anything else. My computer will freeze for about 10 seconds, followed by another 3 seconds of freezing with sound distortion. This will happen at random intervals and will happen once in every hour in a half to three hours. I do not know were to start troubleshooting the issue. This has been happening since i built it. I installed all the cables correctly, my system hardware, cpu, gpu is not over heating while underload in gaming. I will be installing another 8gb of ram in less than a week.

Apr 20, 2019
Hello, I built my gaming pc a few months ago. I never completed the COMPTIA A+ certification so I need help from someone that is knowledgeable about windows based desktop gaming pc's. Before I explain my issue, I will post my specs. I did absolutely no overclocking and left everything stock speed.

cpu: Intel Core i7 9700k CPU
cpu cooler: Coolermaster Master Air ma410m
RAM: corsair rgb pro 8gb ddr4 2666mhz
gpu: zotac gaming rtx 2080 amp extreme
PSU: evga supernova 850 t2
motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix z390-E
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 500gb
HDD: Seagate barracude 7200 rpm 2tb (2 of these)

My problem resides not only when I'm gaming but just about everything else as well. My computer will freeze for 10 seconds, a brief delay followed by another 3 to 5 seconds of freezing with sound distortion. This will happen at random intervals once in every hour in a half if im constantly gaming. When I built my computer I made sure that i followed all the necessary steps to ensure that the cabling was setup right, and followed everything out of the manuals, etc; I m not experiencing any over heating problems with my cpu, i installed the thermalpaste using the pea size method, and installed the cpu cooler correctly. I'm monitoring my gpu temps while under heavy load in gaming, i have my fans set to a speed to ensure that it does not reach the max unsafe temperature and the GPU stays between 50 and 60 degrees celcius under heavy gaming, and between 30 and 40 degrees idle. When I installed my OS, I had my HDD's connected, so system files were installed to my D:/ on one of my Seagate barracuda's. I have read that these are very old HDDs and they are prone to failure according to online forums. When I experience the freezing there is a sound coming from the physical HDD's. I'm not sure were to start troubleshooting.

ShadeSlayer812

Honorable
Dec 1, 2015
This sounds a lot like a cooling issue. The first and easiest thing you can do is open up your case and go to town with some compressed air. If that doesn't solve the problem then you should increase airflow with an extra fan or two. Your CPU cooler could also be dying, so I would check my CPU temps right after it freezes.

Apr 20, 2019
This sounds a lot like a cooling issue. The first and easiest thing you can do is open up your case and go to town with some compressed air. If that doesn't solve the problem then you should increase airflow with an extra fan or two. Your CPU cooler could also be dying, so I would check my CPU temps right after it freezes.

I fixed my problem, as mentioned earlier, I was hearing a sound coming from one of the hdd's when the freezing would occur. I reinstalled the os and took the hdd's out. That seemed to fix the problem. As far as cooling goes, while gaming I keep my GPU below 70 degrees ceclius under heavy load, and between 20 to 30 degrees celcius idle.