Question PC HARDWARE LEGEND REQUIRED. REQUIREMENTS DEFINED

Nov 16, 2019
As i approach the 40yo bracket, its quite apparent my grasp and patients for understanding the latest tech of the day, has gone in a similar way to my athletic prowess.
Im not naive to it, i remember what it was like back in the day, but im not in denial i 'still have it'.

I'd like to upgrade my PC, which has done well over 5 years. I can define my use case and hopefully one of you smart youngsters can advise.

I dont game anymore, its not to say i wouldnt find interest in it again but it must be 2 years since i played anything.

I run network (IP) emulation software (Virl) do create labs for my work. The devices take resources such as Cores, RAM & HDD space.

I also trade stocks and forex which requires many web pages and software to be running that seem to absorb RAM, and i'd like to start watching some 4k content.

Im happy to replace much of it, if its overclockable and you know how then id pay for someone's time to stream me through it. Pay up front.

Current Build

i7-4790k 4ghz
Asus Hero vii
G.Skill Trident DDR3-2400 Memory - 4X8GB -32GB
Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
WD 8 TB NAS Hard Drive - Red
Nvidia GTX 1080 ti
Corsair RM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I was thinking about the new AMD 3950 because of the amount of cores.
What do you think to 64gb of RAM?

JeffDaemon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2013
I can't see your web usage overwhelming 32gb, and your 1080 ti is only 2 years old and aside from easily helping you play 4k videos, is overkill for everything else. I am unfamiliar with your lab work but if it works by spawning sessions that are assigned a dedicated core then yes, one of AMD's multi core beast sounds very ideal. You claim to not be a gamer but you ask for specs beyond that of any gamers rig.

Nov 16, 2019
Hey Jeff.. Thanks for response.

Ok, this is my PC ticking over with most of my apps running now. See RAM is at 62% usage.

View: https://imgur.com/2tiYsMN

I can be frugal with my resources. However running this lab work, its really just running VMs. You assign cores and ram. Im googling pretty hard at the moment, and im seeing Threadrippers as a possible answer.

So many searches come up with 'PC Gaming builds'. And i dont understand multi-core threading etc