[SOLVED] PC Hardware Setup for a SolidWorks Beginner

Sep 25, 2019
I recently got my B.S. in Aerospace Engineering and I’m eager to learn SolidWorks from the ground up. My plan is to follow On-Line Courses/Tutorials, YouTube Videos, get a Certification (CSWA) and start from there. I’m finally ready to put my savings to good use and buy a PC ready to handle these and future tasks as I don’t own one and I’ve used those provided by my university. That said, I made a tentative configuration based on the X570 Chipset from AMD but I’m still trying to wrap my head around what GPU will work better for me. I got absolutely no interest in gaming, video games are not my thing; on the other side, I love coding (HTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, just to name a few) and running simulations (C, C++, Matlab, Wolfram Mathematica...). I came across the Nvidia QUADRO RTX 4000 and this seemed to me a good compromise between price and horse power needed to get my hand on more complex CAD project in the near future. Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks a ton in advance! 😄

PS: I may well have misspelled something, English is not my native language. Sorry for that! 😅

Solution
If you need a nudge in the right direction, yes you're going to need a wokrstation grade GPU, not a gaming GPU if your build is going to be focused on SolidWorks alone. Radeon pro's can be had from AMD's camp. If yo're looking at playing games, then you're going to need something like a Titan card.

As for CPU horsepower, I'd suggest nothing less than Threadripper and a boat load of ram to help with your renders.

Might I ask where you're located?

Lutfij

Titan
If you need a nudge in the right direction, yes you're going to need a wokrstation grade GPU, not a gaming GPU if your build is going to be focused on SolidWorks alone. Radeon pro's can be had from AMD's camp. If yo're looking at playing games, then you're going to need something like a Titan card.

As for CPU horsepower, I'd suggest nothing less than Threadripper and a boat load of ram to help with your renders.

Might I ask where you're located?

Solution
Sep 25, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply, It is very much appreciated! :)
As I said, I've never owned a PC myself and build my passion for coding and simulating during my degree time. Nobody was really able to advice me in the right direction in the past few days, always oscillating between "Yeah, you absolutely need a QUADRO" and "A QUADRO would be such a waste of money for what you will do as an individual".
If It's true I don't want to waste my money on unneeded equipment, It's also true I want to build on my current knowledge and what I'll learn, to get my hand on more serious project in the future.
I was indeed looking at the AMD Ryzen Pro Series GPUs and I'll think more about those. Do you think AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 could be an even greater compromise between price and efficiency?
Regarding the CPU, I thought about a Ryzen 7 3700X at the beginning and 32 gigabytes of DDR4 RAM at 3600 MHz.
I live in Italy, near Rome, hoping to relocate somewhere else in the near future.

Thanks again for your help!

TRENDING THREADS