[SOLVED] PC hardware suggestion

Apr 12, 2020
Greetings,
My PC is this

GPU: MSI GTX 970 gaming
CPU: i5 6600k (not OC)
Ram : 8GB 1330 MHz
Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3 - Gigabyte

I'm playing games like World of Warcraft and I notice huge fps drops in areas with people in or something like that.

I have max fps set in 71 fps. I don't need more. But people in game say that with same gpu they have 100 fps or more. And that my ram is at fault.

Thing is, that I looked for higher speed ram, but my Motherboard is ddr3 and I don't see a lot of ram with speed above 2000 MHz.

Do I have to change my motherboard to ddr4 and get ddr4 ram? Will my CPU play on ddr4 motherboards? Will the CPU work with 3200 MHz ram?

Whats the best ram speed to play wow in optimal fps? Can I just get ddr3 ram like G.Skill Ares 16GB DDR3-2400MHz and put it on my current setup? Will it work all the 2400MHz? Is this speed enough for the game fps?
Or its best to change the MoBo?

Thanks and sorry for all these questions.

P.s. Do you suggest to OC my CPU to combine with the ram? What's the safest OC speed?

Solution
Yes you need a new motherboard to run DDR4 but is it worth buying a new motherboard for your setup to get more fps? Absolutely not. RAM doesn't play a big part in fps, not even from DDR3 to DDR4. Sure, DDR3 1330 MHz isn't exactly the quickest RAM out there but running an Intel setup for gaming you'll probably see an increase of 2-5 fps should you upgrade and overclock to DDR3 2400 MHz etc. Your motherboard supports overclocked DDR3 ram speeds of 3200 MHz. You may see and increase of somewhere between 10-25 fps if you buy a new motherboard and a new set of DDR4 ram. Not really worth the money in my opinion. In comparisson I upgraded from 2133 MHz DDR4 to 3600 MHz with in increase of 9 fps in CSGO.

Your system should run WOW just fine...

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Yes you need a new motherboard to run DDR4 but is it worth buying a new motherboard for your setup to get more fps? Absolutely not. RAM doesn't play a big part in fps, not even from DDR3 to DDR4. Sure, DDR3 1330 MHz isn't exactly the quickest RAM out there but running an Intel setup for gaming you'll probably see an increase of 2-5 fps should you upgrade and overclock to DDR3 2400 MHz etc. Your motherboard supports overclocked DDR3 ram speeds of 3200 MHz. You may see and increase of somewhere between 10-25 fps if you buy a new motherboard and a new set of DDR4 ram. Not really worth the money in my opinion. In comparisson I upgraded from 2133 MHz DDR4 to 3600 MHz with in increase of 9 fps in CSGO.

Your system should run WOW just fine but in crowded areas it might just as well be latency problems that's causing the lag. Have you checked if your system runs at 100% when you lag in-game? You can do that in Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del) under Processes. If it's at 100% then your system is running full speed. If not then it's probably a latency problem with the server.

Reactions: Leandros1989
Solution
Apr 12, 2020
Yes you need a new motherboard to run DDR4 but is it worth buying a new motherboard for your setup to get more fps? Absolutely not. RAM doesn't play a big part in fps, not even from DDR3 to DDR4. Sure, DDR3 1330 MHz isn't exactly the quickest RAM out there but running an Intel setup for gaming you'll probably see an increase of 2-5 fps should you upgradeND overclock to 2400 MHz etc. Your motherboard supports overclocked DDR3 ram speeds of 3200 MHz. In comparisson I upgraded from 2133 MHz DDR4 to 3600 MHz with in increase of 9 fps in CSGO.

Your system should run WOW just fine but in crowded areas it might just as well be latency problems that's causing the lag. Have you checked if your system runs at 100% when you lag in-game? You can do that in Task Manager (ctrl + alt + del) under Processes. If it's at 100% then your system is running full speed. If not then it's probably a latency problem with the server.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll check the task manager thing when I get back home.

Should I get the ddr3 2400 ram then? And OC the motherboard or the CPU to get all the speed of that ram?

McLovinHawaii

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Thanks for the reply.
I'll check the task manager thing when I get back home.

Should I get the ddr3 2400 ram then? And OC the motherboard or the CPU to get all the speed of that ram?

If you know how to overclock then sure why not. WOW is a "cpu heavy" game meaning it rely more on your cpu than your gpu so overclocking your cpu should increase performance. Same goes for CSGO. If you don't know how to overclock then it can be a time consuming and frustrating thing to do as you'll probably end up crashing your system over and over again in order to find a stable overclock. I wouldn't spend any money on ram for playing WOW or CSGO

Reactions: Leandros1989