[SOLVED] PC has a weird problem powering on

Koldsice

Honorable
Apr 30, 2017
I'm having a weird problem with my newly built PC
After pressing the power button,it takes 2-3 seconds for it to to power on,after another 2-3 seconds it turns off,and after ANOTHER 2-3 seconds it turns on and continues to boot like nothing happened.
This is the 3rd PC that I've built and I have never seen something like this.
Things I tried:
Removing every cable and reconnecting firmly, checking if everything is properly seated, updating drivers, checking if there's no "delayed power on" settings in the bios, reseating ram sticks..
I've also tried reinstalling a free copy of Win 10
Nothing works..
Maybe someone knows what's the problem?
Parts:
MOBO Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WIFI
GPU MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Z TRIO 10GB
PSU Corsair HX750i 750W PSU HXi Series 80+ Platinum Modular
RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600Hz
Samsung Evo SSD 250GB
Thanks in advance!

Solution
This is something modern PCs do, when they detect hardware change.

For example, even my (somewhat old) Skylake build, with 6th gen i5 does that. Last time was when i installed Samsung 980 Evo Plus (2TB) into my system. On next power-on, my PC did the exact power-on/power-off cycle as you describe. Though, mine did the cycle once and haven't done so ever since (that is, if i don't change/add hardware).

Now, if your issue is constant, you may look into replacing CMOS battery on MoBo. <- This is used to keep BIOS settings and could be the cause of constant "new hardware" check.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

For example, even my (somewhat old) Skylake build, with 6th gen i5 does that. Last time was when i installed Samsung 980 Evo Plus (2TB) into my system. On next power-on, my PC did the exact power-on/power-off cycle as you describe. Though, mine did the cycle once and haven't done so ever since (that is, if i don't change/add hardware).

Now, if your issue is constant, you may look into replacing CMOS battery on MoBo. <- This is used to keep BIOS settings and could be the cause of constant "new hardware" check.

Solution

Koldsice

Honorable
Apr 30, 2017

Thanks for the reply
Never tried replacing a CMOS battery, do I need to completely replace it with a new one? Or simply take it out and return it?
Also I've been having this problem for about a week or so.
All the parts are brand new and a fresh copy of windows is installed, how can it be trying to detect new hardware?
Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Never tried replacing a CMOS battery, do I need to completely replace it with a new one? Or simply take it out and return it?

I said replace, not reseat. So, that means actually getting a new CMOS battery.

Reaseating only clears all the BIOS changes you've done. Since it isn't that big of a deal, you can try reseat 1st and replace 2nd.

Also I've been having this problem for about a week or so.

What changed a week ago? Since prior to that, you didn't have this issue, right?

All the parts are brand new and a fresh copy of windows is installed, how can it be trying to detect new hardware?

Your guess is as good as mine. Could be MoBo issue, since that is the component that connect everything together and has to make sure everything works. It also does the "new hardware" checks.

Might also want to look into MoBo chipset drivers update. And probably BIOS update as well. Though, if BIOS update should be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked. Now, if you have dual-BIOS MoBo or your MoBo has BIOS flashback feature, then BIOS update wouldn't be that risky.

Btw, what CPU you have? Since you didn't list it within specs.

Koldsice

Honorable
Apr 30, 2017
I said a week ago but that's basically since I built the PC, I've been running it a week and the problem started since I've built it.
BTW in the first few days there's was only the problem of the PC starting after a few seconds of pressing the button,the shutting down and then repowering came after that.
About the CPU,sorry my bad,it's a 12700KF.
Also I'll try the CMOS replacement,will update.
Thanks!

Koldsice

Honorable
Apr 30, 2017
Hey,I'm sorry for reviving the thread but it seems I was too quick to celebrate..
The problem continues but I was able to pinpoint the trigger.
It seems that the problem starts the moment I turn on ErP(S4+S5) in bios.
The problem is when ErP is off all the USB and RGB is still getting power when the PC is off and I don't want that.
Is there a way to enable ErP and still avoid the delayed powering on? Or is it one way or the other?
Thanks again..

Koldsice

Honorable
Apr 30, 2017
I see..
I guess the only question I have remaining is whether on not the delayed power on is necessarily a bad thing? Can it cause any future problems?
If not then I guess I'm fine living with it.
Thanks.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I guess the only question I have remaining is whether on not the delayed power on is necessarily a bad thing? Can it cause any future problems?

I haven't heard this feature causing any lasting damage.

In a way, you can look at it similar to new cars, who have the start/stop feature. Meaning when you stop at the red light, car engine automatically turns off. And when you release the brake, engine turns back on again. <- I drove a rental that had this feature and i hated it. None of the personal cars i've had, have this stupid feature. But i guess this feature adds some benefits, else-ways car manufacturers wouldn't add it to the cars.