Question PC has become responsive overnight and sometimes works normally

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
System Specs:
CPU: i7-4790K
GPU: 5700XT
RAM: DDR3 16GB
HDD: 7200 RPM WD Black (one 1TB and one 2TB)
Monitor: 1080p 144hz

I already posted about this before but it's a reoccurring issue and I'd like some help...

My computer was working normally and was playing RDR2, Modern Warfare, and Resident Evil with no problems at all. But after one night, my computer has begun being extremely unresponsive and although I've gotten it to be more responsive after some time and restarts, trying to open games like Modern Warfare and the new Resident Evil is impossible for this thing now. Sometimes running applications such as Windows Settings, Control Panel, Task Manager, Google Chrome, Wallpaper Background, and Razer Synapse is too much for this thing.

From what I can tell, my cpu isn't overheating and all my fans are working normally, I've tried cleaning my hard drives with applications but I'm unsure if that has helped, and I'm looking for a free malware scanner to see if that's how it's happened.

It all occurred after a Windows Update, which I was prompted into connecting my windows account to my gmail and phone and a bunch of other ****. I attribute this to the cause because after logging in and discovering my pc was being extremely slow yet still having a high frame rate led me to believe it was my CPU getting overloaded. Well I realized my 4 core cpu was being limited to a single core. But even after I've unlicked the CPU, my PC hardly works. I'm unsure if this update has changed certain presets I've changed on my computer because they slowed down my PC back in the day and they are all building up. But I haven't got a clue.

Other suspicious things that have changed is the fact I used a website called "GamersGate" which provides game keys for cheaper than retail and they did something called "manual overview" for one of my purchases. I'm unsure of the reason for the manual overview or what that entails.

I've also just updated my iCloud sync along with iTunes on this computer.

I'd like to get my PC up and running again so I can play these new games and do things with friends because of Corona-cation. There's not much to do and I'd really appreciate some help! 💛

D

Deleted member 14196

I suspect you did this to yourself using those cheap game codes

Make a new Windows 10 USB and format and reinstall then don’t use those websites anymore and don’t install the games you got from there because it’s probably not legal in riddled with viruses

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017

Make a new Windows 10 USB and format and reinstall then don’t use those websites anymore and don’t install the games you got from there because it’s probably not legal in riddled with viruses

Reviews for the website in particular are mostly positive but I'll work on uninstalling the games and their files in particular with a malware scanner. But if you want me to be honest I don't think it's the keys.

D

Deleted member 14196

No not the keys the website where you get the keys are probably doing the nefarious things to your computer behind your back. I need to ask yourself why a website like that exists in the first place? They are shady and not to be trusted and not a valid source to be buying games from

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
No not the keys the website where you get the keys are probably doing the nefarious things to your computer behind your back. I need to ask yourself why a website like that exists in the first place? They are shady and not to be trusted and not a valid source to be buying games from
There are numerous reddit pages asking whether anyone has had any issues with it and the common consensus is "no." Many people have used it and haven't experienced any issues with it that's been written down. I'm checking it to be sure but an overwhelming amount of people use it without issue.

D

Deleted member 14196

Windows doesn’t just destroy itself. You have done something by installing software that has change things in your system. Windows updates don’t cause this problem in general so you have to look at your behavior patterns and change them most likely because it is you who are doing this to the system. My laptop has windows 10 as do all my other machines and never once have they mysteriously slow down.

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Windows doesn’t just destroy itself. You have done something by installing software that has change things in your system. Windows updates don’t cause this problem in general so you have to look at your behavior patterns and change them most likely because it is you who are doing this to the system. My laptop has windows 10 as do all my other machines and never once have they mysteriously slow down.
It's happened to me numerous times. Windows updates have turned on certain systems that have overloaded my cpu with programs (without the use of 3rd party keys). I'm seeing these abnormalities now when task manager does open under things such as Windows Powershell, System Host SysMain, and others. So for me it wouldn't be the first time an update has made my PC extremely slow. I'm definitely trying what you're recommending just to make sure though.

D

Deleted member 14196

Use the media creation tool to make a fresh bootable windows 10 Install Usb. Use it to format the entire drive and reinstall clean

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Use the media creation tool to make a fresh bootable windows 10 Install Usb. Use it to format the entire drive and reinstall clean
Any recommended size for the USB? I just ran Modern Warfare with little to no issues, but I noticed just now that my HDD is at 50% usage from Service Host SysMain. Do you think I should try to pursue this before wiping my PC?

D

Deleted member 14196

You need 8 GB minimum USB drive to make one. If it were me I would back up my data and just do a clean install but you can do whatever you choose

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017

I have cleaned all of my hard drives and downloaded a completely clean version of windows, and my computer still isn't working properly.