Question PC has become unstable since upgrading to 32GB RAM

Dec 25, 2019
Hey folks,

Recently upgraded my Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4 to another 2x8GB of the exact same (same order of the same RAM sticks), to help with playing some games that like a lot of RAM and for playing games with friends whilst I host for the evening.

However, since upgrading I've had 3 BSOD's relating to memory, and maybe every 15-20 minutes I lose a Chrome tab due to it failing to load (Just the generic "oh snap!" error from chrome itself). BSODs are maybe bi-daily, the chrome tab issue is constant in the week that I've had the RAM.

I did windows memory diagnostics on every one of my 4 RAM sticks one by one and tested each of my Asus Z170 motherboard's 4 RAM slots in the process, and it found no issues. I've reset the BIOS settings to default incase there was an issue there too. Some games have seemingly locked my PC by freezing in place which is abnormal for my PC until this upgrade, requiring a physical shutdown.

I'm on a PC with Corsair RM Series 850W Gold PSU, with an i7-6700 using an Asus Z170 Sabertooth Motherboard and an Asus RoG GTX 1080.

I'm no longer sure what is potentially wrong since my PC appears to not be able to find issues with my memory. I've been playing Anno 1800 and Kenshi to test if my memory is usable and indeed I can utilize 19GB+ of Memory with no issues at all and the PC is very much aware of the full 32GB.

I've also performed a full-system scan for viruses with Norton incase there might be something it could spot, but there was nothing in said scan so I'm at a loss now. Any ideas what it might be?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Memory is very finicky, even with identical kits there's no guarantee that they will work together. I would return the new kit and buy a 2x16gb kit, try that kit in your build with the older 2x8gb out of the system and see how it performs and if the BSODs/erros stop.

Hey folks,

Recently upgraded my Corsair 2x8GB Vengeance 2666MHz DDR4 to another 2x8GB of the exact same (same order of the same RAM sticks), to help with playing some games that like a lot of RAM and for playing games with friends whilst I host for the evening.

However, since upgrading I've had 3 BSOD's relating to memory, and maybe every 15-20 minutes I lose a Chrome tab due to it failing to load (Just the generic "oh snap!" error from chrome itself). BSODs are maybe bi-daily, the chrome tab issue is constant in the week that I've had the RAM.

I did windows memory diagnostics on every one of my 4 RAM sticks one by one and tested each of my Asus Z170 motherboard's 4 RAM slots in the process, and it found no issues. I've reset the BIOS settings to default incase there was an issue there too. Some games have seemingly locked my PC by freezing in place which is abnormal for my PC until this upgrade, requiring a physical shutdown.

I'm on a PC with Corsair RM Series 850W Gold PSU, with an i7-6700 using an Asus Z170 Sabertooth Motherboard and an Asus RoG GTX 1080.

I'm no longer sure what is potentially wrong since my PC appears to not be able to find issues with my memory. I've been playing Anno 1800 and Kenshi to test if my memory is usable and indeed I can utilize 19GB+ of Memory with no issues at all and the PC is very much aware of the full 32GB.

I've also performed a full-system scan for viruses with Norton incase there might be something it could spot, but there was nothing in said scan so I'm at a loss now. Any ideas what it might be?
You might need to increase voltage some with four modules if you are getting crashes and bsods. Increase from 1.2 to around 1.25 and see if it helps. Run memtest86 if you get another bsod at 1.25v.