PC Has Erroneous Clock, Will Not Start Following Windows Update

John Ussery

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, as I am not sure if this is the actual culprit or not.

Following some Windows updates last night, my desktop PC ran in to some strange problems. The first was that my time/clock was wrong, and it kept changing itself every hour or so. It would be off by either an entire hour, or 10-20 minutes. Telling it to re-sync worked for a while, but it would do it again.

In an attempt to troubleshoot it, I tried restarting my PC with the automatic synchronization for date and time un-checked. The restart took about 10-20 seconds longer than normal, and then the screen went black, and I heard a continuous clicking sound in my headphones. It was in time with the flashing light on my monitor (the light indicates that the monitor is powered on but is not receiving from the PC but I have never heard the sound before, and don't know what it means if anything)

Since it was hanging I turned it off using the switch in the back, and after a few seconds I flipped it back on. The mobo light turned/turns green, but the PC itself will not power on or turn on.

I'm not sure what to do from here. Is this a problem that can be caused by Windows updates, or should I ask this question/move this question elsewhere?

Running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit.

Solution
hmm, try plugging your monitor into your motherboard's display sockets (dvi, htmi, whatever), and boot up from the CPU's integrated GPU
First, can you let us know what is your computer? if it's store bought, please give us the exact model, otherwise please let us know the components inside if you built it yourself. thx

did the update complete, or did it hang in the middle of the update (you know, while it's processing stuff in the process of booting up).

the other question would be whether or not your computer hits POST. does your monitor show anything when you power the machine on? or do you literally get nothing at all

John Ussery

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

It is not pre-built; I am using an Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard, and an Intel Core i5-3570k CPU. The GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 460, I believe? Either 440 or 460, I can't recall. I do not know the name of the power supply, unfortunately.

The download/install process for Windows Update did not hang, and they all seemed to install normally. It took a bit longer than normal to load my desktop, but everything was running fine until the clock started acting up.

I literally get nothing at all, the PC does not turn on or power up. The motherboard light is on though, like I said, but pressing the Power button on the front of the case does nothing. My screen is black.