Question PC has low FPS in games after running Escape From Tarkov ?

zmesposito

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
I recently have been having an issue where games on my PC have all been running at abnormally low fps. I did a full system wipe and installed CSGO an it ran smooth as silk at my normal 250-300fps. I then installed Escape From Tarkov and played it for about 20 minutes and the FPS in that game started ok but then degraded. I quit tarkov and went back into CSGO and it ran at 80-90 fps maximum. I don't understand what's causing the issue but it appears to be stemming from playing Escape From Tarkov. The issue was also present before I did the system wipe but has only been happening for the past couple days. Up until then the PC worked fine and ran games at the framerate I would expect. Uninstalling the game did not fix the issue. All drivers are up to date, to my knowledge.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i7 9700K
Mobo: Gigabyte H370N WIFI
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200
PSU: Corsair SF 450
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500gb

zmesposito

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
how full was the ssd?
Escape From Tarkov from steam?
Escape from Tarkov is not a steam game, It uses the Battlestate games launcher

The computer was completely wiped. There are three drives on the computer. A 120gb SSD (C) for the OS, a 2tb HDD (D) for bulk storage and an 500gb NVME SSD (G) for games. All were completely wiped before hand. I Installed Chrome on the C drive and CSGO and Escape from Tarkov on the G drive. that was all that was on the computer. I Ran csgo first and it ran at 300fps as I would expect it to. I ran Tarkov for about 20 min and the fps slowly started to degrade. I ran CSGO again and it wouldn't get over 80-90. The pc also had this issue before I wiped it. I tried removing the GPU and putting it back in and that seemed to resolve the issue with FPS in CSGO but as soon as I played tarkov again it came back. I did also use a VR headset with the PC recently which could have had some effect on the hardware, and it feels like the motherboard might be having some issues because my pc audio and peripherals all seem to stutter simultaneously, but again those problems only manifest themselves after playing Escape from Tarkov. Up until doing that the computer seems to run fine.

zmesposito

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
sound like driver issue.
try rebooting between the game?
Both my Motherboard Chipset and Graphics driver are up to date and I did clean installs of both. I cam back today, booted up and played CSGO and it ran at 300fps for like five minutes then the FPS started to degrade back to 80-90 with no tarkov. At this point I would think its a hardware issue but i'm not sure If its the mobo, cpu or gpu.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
How old is the PSU? A 450W PSU is kind of a minimum recommended for a system with a 1070. With a 9700K maybe the PSU can't cut it anymore under heavy load.

Also having expected performance at first then degrading after a while can point to a temperature issue. As said above, I would monitor CPU and GPU temps during gameplay. If you determine at what temps the gameplay starts degrading later you can check and see if you can reporduce the temperature conditions with some banchmark or stress test for the CPU/GPU. To see if performane would start to dip at same temperatures.

Also the PSU might start to falter under heavy load and/or after it gets warm/hot.

zmesposito

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
How old is the PSU? A 450W PSU is kind of a minimum recommended for a system with a 1070. With a 9700K maybe the PSU can't cut it anymore under heavy load.

Also having expected performance at first then degrading after a while can point to a temperature issue. As said above, I would monitor CPU and GPU temps during gameplay. If you determine at what temps the gameplay starts degrading later you can check and see if you can reporduce the temperature conditions with some banchmark or stress test for the CPU/GPU. To see if performane would start to dip at same temperatures.

Also the PSU might start to falter under heavy load and/or after it gets warm/hot.
The PSU is about 3 1/2 years old now. According to part picker anyway I still have like 125W of overhead before I would max it. Estimated wattage is 325W, but idk if thats to be trusted. I did have task manager open at one point and it didn't seem like the GPU or CPU were experiencing particularly high temperature or load running CS. The gpu was only at like 20-30% load, which I didn't think was anything of note because CSGO is not really known for being GPU intense. I am going to bench test the GPU on a friends rig and see what happens there. I'll also test my own pc with a more detailed monitoring software because I feel like task manager isn't giving me all the info I would need. The fps also seems to degrade after only a bit of play time as well, like it will run CS at 300 for five minutes and then after that degrades to 80-90. It isn't a slow drop off in performance. If I were to just use the pc for browsing the internet and watching youtube or twitch, I don't encounter any problems there. It runs as I would expect it to. But if I play games the performance will go down. Even after I quit the game, the pc doesn't seem to rebound, it continues to have poor performance. There are times where the audio will stutter and my mouse will skip across my screen. That to me seems indicative of a mobo issue but I can't be sure.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You need some monitoring software like HWINFO from here or somilar to actually see CPU temps and leave the app running in background and you can also make the app keep track of temps and draw graphs then put PC under some load and later see min/max temps.

The fact that this doesn't happen when you're doing' 'light' work with system like browsing and happens under heavy load like gaming can indicate a PSU problem.

They lose some of their nominal output capacity every year and I personally wouldn't run a 1070 and a 9700K on that PSU especially if it's already 3.5 years old.

Yes a motherboard problem is possible too. You can try and power the system with another known working good quality PSU with higher wattage. If it still happens your PSU might be OK.

zmesposito

Reputable
Aug 12, 2017
task manager isn't accurate, it tracks wrong CPU usage figures, both for how fast some CPU are and also what processes are using the most of anything

Far better to use Process explorer - run as admin as its made by Microsoft - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
shows more details on PC that taskmanager does.

Or HWINFO, depends on what you looking for.
Yeah so this ended up giving me a better idea of whats causing the problem. I think the problem is the cpu cooler. I installed HWMonitor and saw that my cpu temps were getting really high which gaming and then wouldn't go down, which task manager wasn't telling me and my cpu fan speed was zero. It would start jumping on and off occasionally, which I thought might be due to a bad fan header, but even when I switched it it would seize up, so I think the fan itself is done for. I'm pretty sure now that thats the source of the issue, considering that if the fan wasn't spinning at all and I only did light work on the pc, the CPU would never have a chance to get super hot so it would seem like nothing was wrong, and it also explains why if I did light work after playing games the pc would still perform badly because the cpu wasn't being cooled properly. Ordered a new fan, but it won't be here for a couple days, but I'll see if that then fixes the issue

Reactions: Colif