Question PC has no internet on first initial startup, but if I reboot it works ?

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
For the past couple of days, when I start up my computer, it just can't find a network connection at all, but if I reboot my PC it works like normal. It's more a nuisance but I want to know if it's a problem with the motherboard so I can take it back.

I've tried a different cable in case that was the issue but no joy, when changing that cable I noticed there was no light on on the router lit up where the ethernet was plugged in and the light at the back of pc where the ethernet was plugged in was not lit, it did light up when I rebooted.

The only thing I can think of that I have done is a windows update. I'm positive I have the latest LAN driver installed.

It isn't Wi-Fi or has it built into the board, this is a wired connection.

I've also tried doing the troubleshoot network problems in windows settings and this didn't help.

Ralston18

Titan
I think there have been a couple of similar posts.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings that you can associate with the original failure to connect.

Try running the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Next may be "dism".

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
I think there have been a couple of similar posts.

Look in Reliability History for any error codes or warnings that you can associate with the original failure to connect.

Try running the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Next may be "dism".
Hey thanks for the reply

I tried your suggestions but still had no joy :( I also tried the network reset in the settings but that didn't do anything either.

I'm thinking I may try roll back the windows update and see if that's what causing the issue.

If you can remember, what did the other threads have in their title? as most stuff I find when searching this issue is wifi related

Brownie93

Commendable
Jun 29, 2020
Make and model router (or modem/router if combined)?

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.
I know the router is provided by Virgin and was only very recently installed but I will check it when i'm home.

I will paste the ipconfig when I get onto the PC tonight

As another update and for anyone else having the issue. When first turning on yesterday I completely uninstalled the network driver and ticked to remove something can't remember what it said! in device manager and then scanned for a hardware change, it put the driver back in and the internet instantly came on. Hopefully it's just the driver was a little corrupt but we'll see tonight when I can turn on again.