Question PC has no sound

Aug 19, 2019
So I turned on my computer today and I have no sound. I tried plugging in a headset, earbuds, and a speaker but still no sound. On the sound control panel, I have no play back devices listed (such as my headset when plugged in). I have show disabled devices and show disconnected devices as well checked. On the device manager, under sound, video and game controllers tab, I see Nvidia High Definition Audio. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have Nvidia, Realtek or High Definition Audio for example. I updated the Nvidia using the the Update Driver option. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling using the options show in the same tab. I also disabled and re-enabled. I'm not sure whats wrong. When I troubleshoot the sound icon, it says no speakers or headphones are plugged in. I've checked my PCfor updates and restarted multiple times. I can't seem to find any solutions that work online. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Nigel Spike

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
For the sake of the following explanation, I'm assuming you have a desktop.
Speakers are usually connected to the backside of the computer. Headsets can be connected to a speaker, to the backside of the computer, to the front panel of the computer, to the monitor, and sometimes to the keyboard. Unless it's a USB headset, in which case it can be connected to a USB port located almost anywhere, including on a headset stand.

Perhaps you can tell us what equipment you have, and how/where it is connected. Also please post the specs of your computer, including if it's a desktop or a laptop.

Tigerhawk30

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Building on the earlier question on your computer specs...was this a prebuilt or a DIY build? Could it be that the onboard sound isn't connected on the motherboard itself?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS