Question "Pc has posted into safe mode" after upgrading my RAM

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,

I recently built my own PC and I decided to go from 16go of RAM to 32go as i needed it to work with my 4K videos projects.

The problem is, i'm now experimenting some weirds things when i want to boot my PC. First of all, it randomly turn off after pressing the "ON" button. (It turns on and off immediatly after). Sometimes, it turns on but there isn't any image showing up on my screen (i've noticed that the keyboard isn't ON in that case). Sometimes, it turns on but i have the "Pc has posted into safe mode screen". And sometimes it works.

I've always had some weirds booting problems, but this drastically increased since i've upgraded my Ram. I've tried to disable the "FAst boot option", nothing changed. I've also tried changing my DRAM voltage to 1.4, nothing changed.

I can provide some videos if this isn't clear. Any idea ?

Thanks for the help.

--- Config :

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6ghz
GPU : Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER
Motherboard : ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING
Alim : Corsair RM650 80 Plus gold (650W)
Ram (8gox4) : HyperX Fury 3200(Mhz)
Ventirad : Stock from the GPU's box
Case : Sharkoon TG6 with 4 fans
1SSD + 1 HDD

Ps : I've also noticed that every time i turn my pc ON, there is this huge fan noise for 5 seconds before coming back to normal.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020
latest bios?
ran any memory test?
make and model of the psu?
Thank you for your answer.

- My BIOS version is from 06/12/2019, American Megatrends Inc. 2008

- For the memory test : No problems found.

- My PSU : Corsair RM650, 80 Plus Gold, 650W)

Also, i've posted a video of one of my problem listed above (link :
View: https://youtu.be/bbAf1hkbYDA
). In this video, my PC turns ON but the GPU does not turn ON. In order to solve that, i just restart my computer my pressing the ON button again ... This usually happens one in three times...
Just one note : I've always had this "high speed fan" noise (you can hear it in the video) during few seconds when i turn on my computer but until now, it didn't bother me too much as the computer used to turn on after five seconds.

If I had to guess you bought another 16GB set of ram to go with your existing set.
NEVER a good idea.
Mixing ram is a crap shoot.
EVEN if it is the same brand and timings.
Ram is tested and sold as kits. That way they are guaranteed to work together.
Mixing 2 kits may or may not work properly together.

Sep 19, 2020
If I had to guess you bought another 16GB set of ram to go with your existing set.
NEVER a good idea.
Mixing ram is a crap shoot.
EVEN if it is the same brand and timings.
Ram is tested and sold as kits. That way they are guaranteed to work together.
Mixing 2 kits may or may not work properly together.
Hi, tbh I didn't know this was a thing. Especially because i looked on internet before i bought the ram. And for more insurance i decided to buy the exact same kit.
Now what bothers me is that when my system boots normally, everything is fine. The 32go of RAM is perfectly working at 3200Mhz, that's why i dont really understand ...

Sep 19, 2020
Hi.

The fan being at max speed when you boot the system is normal.

Can you remove the new RAM you bought and test with only the RAM you had?
Hi ! Thanks for your answer, i didn't know this was normal!

For my RAM, i've tested with the two previous RAM i had and it works normally. I'll try tomorrow to switch the kits.

Sep 19, 2020
Hi,

I decided to come back to let you know that my problem has been solved. After spending a lot of time trying differents settings in the BIOS, I decided to restore everything to default setting. The problem was the rate of my ram overclocked at 3200mhz from D.O.C.P. profile. Indeed, when i only had 2 sticks of ram, it used to work perfeclty but it seems that 4 sticks of ram overclocked at 3200mhz is too much for my CPU. Now they are set to 3000mhz and everything works properly (at least i've seen no main problem since one and half week).

However, my GPU's fans still make a lot of noise when i boot up my PC, but it doesn't bother me too much as it always works after a few seconds.

I hope this could help someone in the future.

Kindly,

Vadim

Hi,

I decided to come back to let you know that my problem has been solved. After spending a lot of time trying differents settings in the BIOS, I decided to restore everything to default setting. The problem was the rate of my ram overclocked at 3200mhz from D.O.C.P. profile. Indeed, when i only had 2 sticks of ram, it used to work perfeclty but it seems that 4 sticks of ram overclocked at 3200mhz is too much for my CPU. Now they are set to 3000mhz and everything works properly (at least i've seen no main problem since one and half week).

However, my GPU's fans still make a lot of noise when i boot up my PC, but it doesn't bother me too much as it always works after a few seconds.

I hope this could help someone in the future.

Kindly,

Vadim

Yeah everyone GPU's fan will turn loudly and at max speed for a few seconds at boot. Don't worry about that.

Using 4 sticks of RAM puts more stress on the CPU memory controller so yeah when you use 4 sticks it can give you issues getting the same speed as when you use 2 sticks.

I'm happy you fixed your issue! Just leave them at 3000MHz :)

Later!

TRENDING THREADS