Question Pc has power but no post/display

Mar 2, 2020
Hello, new to the forum. As the title says, my pc wont post and only shows a black screen with no display. Im building a pc from scratch after my old motherboard had bent pcie pins. I have a speaker plugged into the motherboard but it doesn't beep.

What ive tried:

Bought an Asus mini itx motherboard(my old pc was a msi nightblade x2)

Bought another Asus motherboard, This time a micro atx. Both motherboards have 1151 6th gen sockets so they are compatible with my i7 6700k.

Used my girlfriends old Cit 600w psu and my old 500w psu(yes both are cheap and a little bit old but they both work fine)

Tested my rig with 2 different monitors along with different connections, dvi and display port

Tried my ram sticks in different slots and tried them 1 at a time.

Made sure the 24pin and the 4pin psu power connections are in.

Re-seated the gpu and made sure the connection is fine.

What ive not tried:

My cpu fan is plugged in but its not covering the cpu and its not screwed down(ordered a backplate today)

Tested different RAM into the dimm slots. My motherboard supports only ddr4 ram which i have but not sure if there is speed compatibility issues. Again i bought a new ddr4 ram stick today.

Tested a new good quality PSU.

My pc's main specs: i7 6700k cpu, 1070 gpu, 600w cit psu, 2x 8gb ddr4 ram, H110M-K mAtx motherboard.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
there's a possibility you may have burned out the CPU by not having proper contact with it's cooler. that would be unlikely nowadays though because they are designed to shutdown before reaching dangerous temperatures.
though with no cooling it may just be reaching it's temp threshold before the system even boots.
if you have the stock cooler that comes with the CPU, try it.

there is still a chance that the lower quality/lower power PSU(s) are not able to handle this more advanced system.

Mar 2, 2020
there's a possibility you may have burned out the CPU by not having proper contact with it's cooler. that would be unlikely nowadays though because they are designed to shutdown before reaching dangerous temperatures.
though with no cooling it may just be reaching it's temp threshold before the system even boots.
if you have the stock cooler that comes with the CPU, try it.

there is still a chance that the lower quality/lower power PSU(s) are not able to handle this more advanced system.
The cpu is only a couple of years old and it worked perfectly fine a few days ago. I doubt its that. Ive screwed down the cpu water cooler now and inserted a new ram stick and im still having problems. Im starting to think its the PSU not giving enough power and its pretty much the only component that isnt brand new, thanks for the reply.

Mar 2, 2020
Update: bought a new ram stick and the cpu is screwed down properly but still no post, beeps or any display. Phoned a local pc repair shop and they told me it would be a waste of time to bring the computer because they wouldnt have done anything differently than what i already did. Im lost😕