[SOLVED] PC has power, but will not turn on.

Elkattio

Distinguished
May 27, 2016
I am losing my ever-loving mind over this build! Before I went to bed last night everything was fine when I shut the system down. Everything has been working fine for two days. I wake up this morning, and nothing happens when I press the power button.

All of the annoying lights from the motherboard and GPU are on inside the case, but I still get nothing when pressing the power button. I checked the connections from the case to the motherboard, and they seem to be fine. What could be the problem?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory x2
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x2
Asus Radeon RX 5700 8 GB STRIX Gaming OC Video Card
Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Went back to Best Buy and did an exchange. Still got a Corsair RM750, but this one seems to actually be working, for the time being.

kango692

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
To rule out a faulty power button you can connect the reset button to the power switch header on the motherboard .
Or just short the power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver ..

kango692

Reputable
Sep 12, 2019
Look at page 20 of your manual
The panel connector takes most of the connections from your case.
Disconnect the "PWRSW" pins and then you can short the 2 pins with a screwdriver.
Or you can disconnect the "PWRSW" pins and then move the reset connectors over to it so now the "reset button" becomes the "power button"

Elkattio

Distinguished
May 27, 2016
I've switched the PWRSW over to the reset connectors, but still nothing. I'm not comfortable attempting to short the power pins. I know my luck. I'd probably short something else and then void the warranty.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
maxresdefault.jpg

This guy was the cause of my no boot issues despite power going to the board, make sure it's plugged in all the way even if you think it is

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
A USB connector is not needed to boot, that wouldn't be the culprit.

Have you done this?
I gave him the suggestion because that was the literal cause and resolution to the exact same issue I had less than a week ago with the exact same board. It merits checking to be sure EVERYTHING is appropriately connected.

That is what I just did. The only thing connected is the PSU, GPU, and CPU, and the RAM, of course. Just as before, the LED indicators on the GPU light up, as well as the ROG Strix logo on the motherboard.

Trying to think of what else you could eliminate as a source of error. Have you tried using a different powerstrip/outlet? Do you have access to another working PSU that you could use?

Out of curiosity how old is this computer? The first B450-F board I had received when I purchased a bundle deal off NewEgg arrived D.O.A., the components would light up but it gave a peristent DRAM light error that I eventually RMA'd. Do you notice any of the troubleshooting lights on the board indicated in your manual lighting up?

I gave him the suggestion because that was the literal cause and resolution to the exact same issue I had less than a week ago with the exact same board. It merits checking to be sure EVERYTHING is appropriately connected.
You must have bumped something else in place in the process. You can boot systems without a case, so USB connectors a definately not needed.