[SOLVED] PC has strange issues when starting up, potentially related to RAM

aquamaster12

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
As the title says my PC has recently(the past month or so) been having very strange issues. To start things off for a few weeks the PC would shut-down and restart itself whenever the case where to move ever so slightly, I have a bit of knowledge on the hardware side of computers so my first thought was that perhaps one of my cables inside the pc was not properly inserted.

After having re-plugged in all the cables on my motherboard and such I ran into a new issue. The PC would no longer boot at all, the case LED stayed off and on my motherboard the Debug LEDs for the CPU and DRAM would stay on. For a few days and a attempt to completely reassemble the PC I only managed to get it as far as booting into the BIOS screen, after which I would receive a Beepcode for faulty Memory and then it would stay idle.

After all this I decided to visit a local PC shop to see if they could run some tests to find out what was wrong. They tested various components and ran multiple tests, but to no avail. Currently the PC does boot up again, however I always receive a Beepcode of 3 long, which for my board indicates the faulty memory apperantly. After this the PC does get into windows and seems to work properly.

I am currently very confused and so are multiple others that I explained this issue to, so I was hoping maybe someone here had a clue as to what the issue could be. I will supply a list of PC specs which hopefully helps a bit.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Specs:
MoBo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 1300x
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws
PSU: 650W

Lastly and I do not know if this can remotely be related but the tech shop did mention to me that my BIOS is a few years old

Solution
Look at your motherboards support page for RAM, see if your RAM model is on that list. if not then it's likely you have incompatible ram.
As the title says my PC has recently(the past month or so) been having very strange issues. To start things off for a few weeks the PC would shut-down and restart itself whenever the case where to move ever so slightly, I have a bit of knowledge on the hardware side of computers so my first thought was that perhaps one of my cables inside the pc was not properly inserted.

After having re-plugged in all the cables on my motherboard and such I ran into a new issue. The PC would no longer boot at all, the case LED stayed off and on my motherboard the Debug LEDs for the CPU and DRAM would stay on. For a few days and a attempt to completely reassemble the PC I only managed to get it as far as booting into the BIOS screen, after which I would receive a Beepcode for faulty Memory and then it would stay idle.

After all this I decided to visit a local PC shop to see if they could run some tests to find out what was wrong. They tested various components and ran multiple tests, but to no avail. Currently the PC does boot up again, however I always receive a Beepcode of 3 long, which for my board indicates the faulty memory apperantly. After this the PC does get into windows and seems to work properly.

I am currently very confused and so are multiple others that I explained this issue to, so I was hoping maybe someone here had a clue as to what the issue could be. I will supply a list of PC specs which hopefully helps a bit.

Hopefully someone can help me out.

Specs:
MoBo: MSI B350 Tomahawk
CPU: Ryzen 1300x
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws
PSU: 650W

Lastly and I do not know if this can remotely be related but the tech shop did mention to me that my BIOS is a few years old
The first gen Ryzens are very picky about memory speed and timings. What do you have the ram set to in the bios?

aquamaster12

Reputable
Jun 4, 2016
I have been doing some research and my Motherboard should be supporting the RAM. Checked out the frequency and such which all points to that not being the issue. PC works without problems after the beeps but they still remain. Gonna look into the BIOS to see how everything was set up in there. Only other thing that was recommended to me was a potential BIOS update to see if that works, however I am a bit uncertain about that atm

Edit: I also noticed that, whilst my system does seem to recognize all my 16GB of RAM, it allocated half of it to hardware for some reason

Last edited: