[SOLVED] PC has stutters while gaming

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
I have been noticing frequent dips in fps in almost all my games. many of them i have tried lowering settings as well as making a framerate cap. it seems that even if I am lowering my settings and max fps. it will still dip at certain points. what I mean is when I'm a town or forest lets say and then i move to another area game seems to jag for a second and stutter then go back up to the optimum framerate. things i have tried so far are lowering graphical settings and adjusting framerates, I have up to date drivers and windows updates as well as clean installation on my drivers. done a lot of eliminating background processes and in game overlays. i have even moved my newer games to my new nvme m.2 drive instead of my hdd. and note that it did help and make the dips less drastic and less often but they still happen. i guess my question to you all is what could be causing this? is it hardware, RAM? CPU? or is it windows? could it be something external like the electric in my house?

MSI X570 Gaming board
Nvidia RTX 3060 12gb VRAM
R5 Ryzen 5600X
Noctua aftermarket cooling
16gb DDR4 RAM
Corsair CX750M PSU
MSI 144hz Monitor at1080p
500GB NVME SSD for games
250gb 870 SSD for windows 10
Seagate 2 TB for other files

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

Do you have freesync/gync compatible enabled. If so turn this off in Nvidia control panel and see if it makes any difference at all.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My first thought was along the lines of load time off a HDD, and see that you addressed this by moving the offending game to an SSD.

What speed and type are the RAM you are using? 2 sticks/dual channel?

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
Do you have freesync/gync compatible enabled. If so turn this off in Nvidia control panel and see if it makes any difference at all.
I don't have Gsync with my monitor but i do have freesync that i don't use and is deactivated cause i have a NVidia card since thats all i could find in todays gpu market haha

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
My first thought was along the lines of load time off a HDD, and see that you addressed this by moving the offending game to an SSD.

What speed and type are the RAM you are using? 2 sticks/dual channel?
that was my first thought too and unfortunately it didn't completely resolve the issue for me. it helped but didn't fully resolve. as for my RAM i have Crucial Ballistix ddr4 3600 dual channel

Last edited:

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
just a question how is the GPU conected to the screen if its not displayport cable try that.
Good point! i am using hdmi that came with my monitor. just never got around to getting dp cable and totally forgot until you mentioned it. i ordered one earlier today and should be getting tomorrow and will try that out and get back to you.

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
and by the way thankyou all for your advice and thoughts. i really do appreciate it and not to mention i like picking peoples brains haha

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
Good point! i am using hdmi that came with my monitor. just never got around to getting dp cable and totally forgot until you mentioned it. i ordered one earlier today and should be getting tomorrow and will try that out and get back to you.
So the display port cable seemed to help in some instances and games but didn’t resolve the drops. I notice when loading a new area or when an explosion happens or new npc’s or vehicles approach is when it seems to jag for a split second and then return to normal stable frames. So there is some type of pattern going on there.

Slaxel

Commendable
Oct 8, 2021
So I know this question is probably dead lol however I solved the issue and found the culprit. It was in fact software related. It was my OS acting strange. I did a clean install on a new m.2 ssd and wiped my current ssd and it fixed the issue for me. Many thanks to you all!

TRENDING THREADS