PC has Suddenly slowed down

Nov 4, 2018
S I have been using my pc for about a year and a half after i built it. It has been running smoothly with no issues up until this point. It was capable of running most games including new titles at high graphics at 60fps 1080p which is all i wanted it for. But for some reason a couple of days ago it suddenly slowed down for no reason. It now will run the same games I had previously been p[laying at 10-20 fps and now struggles to even run youtube videos. I have at this point completely pulled apart, cleaned and put it back together and fully updated all drivers. any tips you guys have to fix this issue.

Specs:
Core i5 7500
16 GB DDR4 RAM
GTX 1060
500GB SSD for boot
1TB HDD
Windows 10

Unless you have reason to suspect overheating (throttling) hardware, or your HDD failing (you would probably hear it or notice slow downs when it's accessed), it is most likely to be software.

Startup processes, backgrounds processes, services, scheduled tasks, new drivers (with accompanying tasks re-enabling telemetry). Windows updates and so on. Look for excessive disk and network activity at boot via the 'resmon' program. Look for excessive CPU or RAM usage on anything.

What is excessive? Anything at boot that's using more than 100 Meg, other than perhaps anti-virus, such as MsMpEng (Windows Defender). Most programs won't use a lot of RAM at boot if they're well-behaved. :)

Perhaps run a Userbenchmark test to see if there are any obvious culprits - https://www.userbenchmark.com

TRENDING THREADS