PC has suddenly started suddenly powering off (can't get past Windows boot screen)

macleod92

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi there,

So my issue started today while I tried to edit something using Premiere Pro. I opened the programme and then my computer's power just completely cut out then automatically restarted.

I tried again and five minutes later the power cut out a second time. It then got to the point where the power would keep cutting out during the boot process. Generally speaking it would get past the BIOS splash screen but the power would cut out during the Windows 10 boot screen.

At first it would do this a couple of times but then eventually boot through to Windows, only to cut out 5-10 min later.
Now it's at the point where it can't get past the Windows boot screen before cutting out and automatically powering back on. I've managed to get it to boot fully a handful of times after going through Windows' 'Automatic Repair' screen.

This is a computer I built myself about three months ago but have been having no issues. I rely on it for work so would really appreciate the help.

Things I've tried

• >Checked CPU and MOBO temps (both stay around 35 degrees C)
    >Disabling 'fast boot' in the BIOS
    >Looking for any obvious short circuits inside system
    >Hitting reset on the MOBO right before typical power cut point

Specs:
ASUS Rog Maximus Hero X
Intel i7 8700K
EVGA Gefore GTX 1070
Corsair RM650x
Crucial ballistix Sport DDR4 RAM (32GB)
Corsair H115i Pro

Thanks,

Jamie

Solution
It has the symptoms of a failing PSU. But it could also be a device failing and causing the system to shut down. Hard to troubleshoot sometimes. Start by disconnecting all the drives and other external peripherals. Remove the gfx card and use the iGPU. Leave just the motherboard power connected and the FP connections. See if it posts and stays on.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It has the symptoms of a failing PSU. But it could also be a device failing and causing the system to shut down. Hard to troubleshoot sometimes. Start by disconnecting all the drives and other external peripherals. Remove the gfx card and use the iGPU. Leave just the motherboard power connected and the FP connections. See if it posts and stays on.

Solution

macleod92

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016

Thanks for the advice.

After having no luck unplugging things, I tried replacing the PSU. This sorted the issue.

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Good to hear. The Corsair H115i Pro is/was a good PSU. I'm surprised it failed, but it happens.