Question PC has to be unplugged/replugged to power on after shutdown or suspend ?

Feb 18, 2023
PC specs:
PSU: bequiet Pure Power 10 80+ Silver 400W
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560m Aorus Elite
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4 F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
CPU: i3-10100f
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB (requires 6-pin pcie cable)
WiFi: Gigabyte GC-WAX200 PCI-e

Hello everyone. I've rarely had to address to forums to find a solution or hear thoughts, but this is the most peculiar, dumbfounding issue I've ever came across, so I'd greatly appreciate your thoughts.

I had to exchange PSUs between 2 of my PCs, so I've put the bequiet mentioned above on the system mentioned above. Immediately after doing so, this system started exhibiting this weird behavior. Once I shutdown Windows or put Windows to sleep, the PC won't turn on or wake from sleep. It just doesn't respond to any button. I have to turn the PSU power switch to OFF, wait a few seconds for the capacitors to discharge, turn the PSU switch to ON and then I'm able to turn my computer on again. I've noticed that immediately after completing shutting down (or suspend), the power meter on the wall/socket momentarily reads zero watts and then it climbs to 2.6 watts (I have no idea if this info is of any help or relevant). Also for some reason it "resets" my keyboard, and by that I mean that while on a normal shutdown the keyboard's backlight turns off, when this problem is present, the keyboard's backlight turns momentarily off but then it turns on on its own.

Now I know what you are about to scream, "Dude, it's obvious, it's the PSU", but hear me out. The computer is running perfectly fine once it's on. I can stress test it with Prime95, I can play games, no issues, I can have it all day long running and doing stuff and I don't remember ever drawing more than 260 watts from the wall. It only does this weird thing when shutting down or putting Windows to sleep. Another thing that needs to be taken into account is that If I remove the pcie wifi card, the computer stops exhibiting the issue. So, If I had this PSU from the start, and one I bought and put this wifi card in, one would just as easily assume that it is obviously the card the issue. Another thing that needs to be taken into account is that if I replace my GTX 1060 with a GTX 750 Ti that does not require a 6-pin pcie cable, the computer stops exhibiting this weird behavior. So, if I had the GTX 750 Ti from the beginning and one day I upgraded to a GTX 1060, one could just as easily assume that the new GPU is the source of the problem. Another thing that needs to be taken into account is that, as long as my computer is still at room temperature, it does not exhibit the problem. As soon as it reaches operating temperature, even idle temperature, the problem reappears. And lastly, another thing that needs to be taken into account is that if I replace my GTX 1060 with an identical GTX 1060 model, the problem is still there. If I disable XMP, it does not help in any way.

So, by removing the pcie wifi card, the issue is gone. By replacing the gpu with one that does not need a 6-pin pcie cable, the problem is also gone. If i turn the computer on and turn it off while it is still at room temperature, the problem does not happen. What do you guys think is actually happening with my computer? Why does it do this? I wouldn't mind some in depth thoughts. My speculation is that for some reason, something triggers some of the PSU's protections and this is why it requires power cycle; to reset the protection. But is the PSU faulty, and it triggers when it shouldn't? Is some other component faulty and causing the PSU's protections to trigger? Do motherboards have protections that make them lock up and require power cycle to reset? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this riddle.

Feb 18, 2023
Thank you! Nice to be here.

The bequiet is close to 4 and a half years old. When I bought it I consulted the then PSU tier list and this bequiet had a good standing and good reviews for this price range. The only other strong contender (for this price range) was a Corsair CX450 which I rejected because I've read that some of them had loud fan.

The PSU that was replaced by the bequiet was a Corsair Professional Series™ HX650W 80+ bronze from at least 2010. The reason I swapped PSUs was because I installed an RX 6700 in my other system, (which is supposed to be a card with 220W TDP, but never consumed more than 159 watts on game engines) and I wanted a beefier PSU. The other system (Corsair + RX 6700) is running fine with no issues.

Feb 18, 2023
Since this thread has died, I'll leave a final report in case anyone gets here in their search for an answer to a similar problem.

I restored the motherboard's settings to default, I tried messing with any other suggestion I found in other threads (like this one for example) and other sites but nothing has worked. In the end, since I couldn't figure it out, I bought a new PSU. I believe it was a malfunction with the bequiet PSU and there is something about this system specifically that the bequiet doesn't like, resulting in the PSU's protections to kick in when they shouldn't. It does not happen on two different systems with this PSU, but also it does not happen in this system with any of the two Corsairs I've tried. This post shows another case of a bequiet owner with the same issue. Maybe the cheap bequiets are not good after all.

Aug 8, 2023
Since this thread has died, I'll leave a final report in case anyone gets here in their search for an answer to a similar problem.

I restored the motherboard's settings to default, I tried messing with any other suggestion I found in other threads (like this one for example) and other sites but nothing has worked. In the end, since I couldn't figure it out, I bought a new PSU. I believe it was a malfunction with the bequiet PSU and there is something about this system specifically that the bequiet doesn't like, resulting in the PSU's protections to kick in when they shouldn't. It does not happen on two different systems with this PSU, but also it does not happen in this system with any of the two Corsairs I've tried. This post shows another case of a bequiet owner with the same issue. Maybe the cheap bequiets are not good after all.
I'm having the EXACT same symptoms as you (I don't have a spare GPU to test, nor have I removed the wifi card but everything else about the power issues is the same), but I'm using a Corsair SF750 which is less than 2 months old. I'm going to RMA this PSU and pray to god that this fixes the issue.

I have a question though: if you turned off the PC and tried to press the power button to turn it on was there any fan movement or sound from the PSU that indicates it tried to turn on? In my case, I see no fan movement or LEDs on my motherboard or case, or cpu cooler, or PSU, but if I press the power button I can hear the click sound that you expect when you turn on the PC. So I know for a fact that my PSU is trying to turn on but there must be something that is stopping it from doing so when in that initial condition.

TRENDING THREADS