Question PC has trouble connecting or stay connected on a bridged connection

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
I reset my computer on the 3rd of November 2021 and I was still using my computer next to my router and there has been no trouble regarding ethernet connection at all. Recently, I have moved my router downstairs which is far from the router (which is upstairs) and since I needed a router that can use bandwidth control, I got the TP LINK WR-840N fairly recently, set the WR-840N as my main router and is now using my old router (TP LINK Archer C54) as a bridge and connected my computer to the bridge using an ethernet cable, everything had been going well so far up until 2 days ago where my computer would have major ping spikes shown in Discord VC and Games, and even would kick me out of the network, I cant even login to the WI-FI Connections. Thinking this was just another internet error, I restarted my routers but the problem kept persisting until I checked my internet on my phone while I was lagging on my computer. To my surprise, it turns out only my computer had this problem and every other connection in the house was fine. I have reset my Windows but the problem still persists, I can't afford to use the other router since QOS doesnt help much compared to Bandwidth Control, What should I do?

Ralston18

Titan
You do not and should not need a "bridge". If that is true please explain the requirement(s) and specifically how you configured the bridge.

Current connectivity ( line diagram) where ---> represents an Ethernet cable

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary.

ISP == DSL, Coax, fiber ==> Modem ---->[WAN Port] WR-840N Router [LAN Port] ----->[LAN port] Archer C54 [LAN Port] -----> your computer.

Only the WR-840n router should have DHCP enabled. The old Archer C54 should have DHCP disabled making it very much just a switch.

Try swapping in known working Ethernet cables between WR-840N and Archer C54. Also between Archer C54 and your computer.

Will your computer stay connected if you connect your computer directly to a LAN port on the WR-840N?

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
ISP == DSL, Coax, fiber ==> Modem ---->[WAN Port] WR-840N Router [LAN Port], Wireless Bridge Archer C54 [LAN Port] -----> your computer.

I've double checked and the WR-840N router does have DHCP enabled and the Archer C54 does not. My computer does stay connected and does not have ping spikes if i directly connect it to the router, but since i am not able to connect it now since of routing and distance problems.

Why are you using the second router as wifi nic card do you not have a wifi card in the computer.

It likely is just some wifi issue between the routers. It tends to be a bit more tricky to troubleshoot when done this way but in the end if it is wifi you have few things you can do. You try to change the radio channel on the main router or if the bridge router can do it try the other radio band 2.4/5

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
I have to use trh
Why are you using the second router as wifi nic card do you not have a wifi card in the computer.

It likely is just some wifi issue between the routers. It tends to be a bit more tricky to troubleshoot when done this way but in the end if it is wifi you have few things you can do. You try to change the radio channel on the main router or if the bridge router can do it try the other radio band 2.4/5

I'm bridging the connection from the first router to the second router because if I directly connect to the main connection, the speed wont be optimal compared to using the bridged one

Unless you are using along ethernet cable to move the second router away from your pc it likely is getting the same signal levels as the nic in the PC. It will not function better just because it is a separate box the problem is still the walls and the floors absorbing the signal from the main router it does not really matter what wifi equipment you use.

aetheroo

Prominent
Nov 13, 2020
I placed the router 4 meters apart from my pc, the bridged router is facing the main router directly from upstairs to downstairs. I'm having connectivity issues with wireless connections aswell now, thats why im using an ethernet connection to the bridged router