Question Pc having issues only if there is a second storage drive of any type

Dec 19, 2020
Components

Msi x570 mpg carbon 500gb ssd WD blue 1 tb ssd samsung 860 evo 3 tb HDD seagate barracuda 8x2 ram 3900x 2080 super Windows

Backstory.. So I've had issues with my drives since I built my computer back in February. Originally it had a 500 gb ssd to use with the OS and a couple games and a 3tb HDD for anything else. The computer with both drives plugged in wasn't running very good. 100% usage on both. I later thought the OS was having issues with the ssd, so I unplugged it and installed windows on the HDD. Fast forward to now, I ordered a new ssd, and I had just this past week learned how to update the bios, which I learned can help drive stability. So I updated the bios, and decided to give the 500gb ssd another go, and wiped the HDD of os and everything on it as a secondary once again. After getting it set up, checked bios to make sure the main screen boot priority was right, and the HDD wasn't in there at all... I went into the settings to check the secondary menu that has the boot priorities and what not and there it was... okay so I went ahead and exited the bios and turned my pc on and got the black screen of death. I ended up turning my pc off and unplugged the HDD to try the ssd on it's own, and it was lightning fast suddenly... So I figured the HDD was the issue. The new ssd came in today, I put it in the computer, plugged in everything, and booted up my pc, checking the bios to make sure the boot priority was correct.... And it wasn't there again... Checked the secondary one again and it was there. I went to boot up the computer and got the black screen of death again... Only this time windows loaded up except it's pretty much unuseable and unresponsive.. sorry for the long backstory but I figured I'd atleast explain everything I've done... Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I'm so frustrated I just want to use my PC. Please if you have any ideas send them my way. It seems to me the issue only occurs when there are 2 drives, but it's completely fine with 1.

Dec 19, 2020
I also just reflashed my bios to see if it would help and the issue persists

Edit: @6:10 pm
I partitioned the drive about 30 minutes ago so windows is able to see it

Edit: @ 6:50 pm

I unplugged the 1Tb sata SSD from the sataport and put the c: into the aforementioned port to see if it is faulty. Pc boot up lightning fast.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020
Hi NewtoPC's Guy.

WD Blue 500GB SSD. M.2 or SATA SSD?
860 EVO. M.2 or SATA SSD?

What is your motherboard?

Both are sata

It is an msi x570 mpg carbon

Edit

An update for ya
Tried the sata port with the ssd I know works, all by itself

Used the power cable that was initially plugged into the SSD, and it powered up just fine.

Conclusion is that it is neither the power delivery or the sata port

Hopefully my work troubleshooting and what not atleast helps narrow it down. I am going to try installing windows onto the samsung ssd to see how it runs. Assuming it does it's not the ssd and it's software related after all

Edit @ 7:26 pm

My power supplies sata cables have about 3 drive plugs per power cable. Originally I had 2 drives on 1 cable. I grabbed another cable and have each drive on an individual plug. Currently it's diagnosing / attempting repairs..

Last edited: