PC HDMI not recognizing Samsung 4k TV

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I'm trying to connect my PC to my 4K tv so I can play in 4k settings, and well watch stuff on a much larger screen. For whatever reason Its not showing my T.V on the device manager as a "monitor".
I only see it as a "Digital Media Device". How can I switch from my monitor to my T.V and back when I want to?
I tried going to my desktop and clicking on display settings and clicking "identify" but its not finding my T.V.
I tried using Windows + P to change it but no solution...

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
I don't think a custom resolution is going to help if the HDTV can't even be detected.

1) What happens if you shut down, hook up to the HDTV, then turn it on?

2) Have you switched the HDTV so it's using the HDMI input you are connected to?

3) 4K is backwards compatible otherwise your BluRay player wouldn't work. That's a 1080p 60Hz requirement.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-use-your-4k-tv-as-a-monitor/

According to that site, to achieve 4k@ 60Hz needs HDMI2 at both ends. Not sure if a TV will still detect HDMI 1.4 though and then display half the Hertz. Another thing you can try is the HDMI channel you're using on the TV, see if you can rename/label it to PC. It's a common practice re-naming an HDMI input to PC, see if you can do that.

I don't think a custom resolution is going to help if the HDTV can't even be detected.

1) What happens if you shut down, hook up to the HDTV, then turn it on?

2) Have you switched the HDTV so it's using the HDMI input you are connected to?

3) 4K is backwards compatible otherwise your BluRay player wouldn't work. That's a 1080p 60Hz requirement.

Solution

Fallen29

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
I found the answer.. I had my HDMI hooked up to my motherboard and not my GPU. It works now! A bit of lag but thats fine for now. Thank you very much gents for the help! Have a happy holiday season ^^

boju

Titan
Ambassador

You do make a good point, i mean makers of 4K TVs would have thought about backwards compatibility for older devices, I didn't think of that at the time just confused my self for other reasons.

Glad you figured it out Fallen. Multiple HDMI outputs often catch people out.

What Hz is your TV running at? 30Hz would bring quite a bit of lag, HDMI 2 is needed for 4k @ 60Hz.

on HDMI 2 support:

Good point about the 30Hz limit, not to mention most games are not playable at 4K or suffer badly even with a great setup like a GTX980Ti.

*I hate to say this, but if it were me I'd stick with 1080p@60Hz setup. You'll likely have a much better gaming experience. Practically speaking you'd probably have to turn down settings to maintain a good resolution (which then looks worse anyway) so really what's the point?

The games where 4K looks the best have small text and tend to be less demanding anyway (like CIV5), but then you usually are setting far enough from a 4K HDTV (or not using mouse/kybd) that this doesn't make sense.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Why would you hate to say that? I don't really see a difference in gaming on a 27" monitor at 1080p/1440p/2160p either? Maybe only on a bright still white screen would anyone notice larger pixels, even then it will be an effort comparing such resolutions on <30" screens.

27" and 1080p is plenty, 1440p would be the fine limit @ 27" but i still find my self running numerous games on a XB270HU monitor @ 1080p for experience/more fps as you say. The regular GTX780 cant really keep up in some games @1440p and do appreciate being able to still run games in 1080p on such displays while still looking good with more fps.

I also game on a 65" 1080p Plasma 4ft away when wanting to use the surround sound system and even on such a large screen while playing a game, wont notice any pixels. On a white screen it is noticeable, not really that big, not tiny compared to 27" @ 1440p but still, 65" @ 1080p still looking great you would think 27" is too small for 1440p/4k.

May 29, 2019
In case anybody finds this (more than 3 years late), I had a similar problem with my Panasonic CX400. Everything else (3D Bluray, 4K Firestick) was fine but the HDMI connection from my RX580 card would not even acknowledge a connection.

To fix the problem I had to go into Setup and change the HDMI inputs on my TV from Enhanced to Standard, afterwhich, it worked flawlessly for 4K @ 60MHz.