Question PC heavily stutters and freezes for 1-2 minutes and then restarts

Jul 23, 2019
so this is what happened, last week on monday my pc was built. after this i was using it for 4 days with no issues, until this started happening. my pc would at random times (be it playing a videogame, or just watching youtube/doing something on the internet) start to freeze and stutter heavily, and then restart - at rare times it would recover and not restart. i couldnt fix this so since my pc has warranty i sent it back to them, and they performed all the tests for 2 days they could think of and they found no issues, and the pc did not sutter for them. so now today i got it back, and once again it happened to me... i have no idea anymore what to do, i even changed my extension cord that i use for my pc and the outlet it is connected to just in case, but this did not help.

this is all i have from event viewer:
-4 minutes before the freeze: https://i.ibb.co/1TSNcLv/ca164140f973efbae0f78259f6adca34.png
-at the time of freeze (this time it froze and stuttered while i was playing a videogame called osu): https://i.ibb.co/2vDyzxm/2e3102913168699f5ba7b760e3325199.png
-and the second one: https://i.ibb.co/8dSgMb7/fb27f74209284e6ec232060d24638b4d.png
-other times when it happened not during osu, i think there was nothing in the application logs, so i think it has nothing to do with the actual videogame, as it also happened during other times when i wasnt playing like i said.

^ so judging from this i would think its something to do with nvidia/graphics drivers.. however while the pc was at the technician, they pushed the pc to the limit and found no issues, and they say all hardware is perfectly fine from what they saw. and from reliability history at the time of crash i have this: https://i.ibb.co/VphhDxk/1fa7df65fb58c11aa0834d38f2926898.png

And that is all i have to go from... the pc is on the 1903 windows 10 x64 update, with 16gb ram, ryzen 5 3600, newest nvidia drivers (431.60 - but it happened with previous ones as well) gtx 1660ti.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If you are running an aftermarket antivirus, uninstall it. Although supposedly the AV compatibility issues have been fixed, there were many reports of instability with 1903 and aftermarket AV programs, including some very major names.

Set a restore point.

Lazy man's driver update:

Win-X>device manager>display adapters

Should show your gpu
right click, pick install drivers

If feeling ambitious do same for cpu

Reboot and see what happens. If that doesn't work use your restore point to get back to where you were and try again:

The approved Tom's Hardware way:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

This is more complicated.

But it's easier than doing a clean install of the OS which, in the end, is what worked for me. I'll go see if I can dig it up so I don't have to repeat it again. You need to be 99% sure it's a software problem not a hardware problem and you do of course need a drive on which to store your data files. If you have TWO drives, so much the better. Create a mirror on one and on the other just transfer your data.

Let me go rummage around....

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
OK when you reach the frustration point of being willing to try a clean install of the OS, try this:

• Disconnect every drive except the one you want to carry the OS and the flashdrive that has the OS (or DVD)
  • Disconnect from the internet just prior to starting the install
  • Systematically refuse any hookup to internet accounts that MS says will "improve your experience" -- go for a local build. So, for example, your admin login will have verifications like mother's maiden name and your first dog. It will NOT have a cell phone verification.
  • Immediately upon installation do not do anything do not pass go just use MS Edge to get your drivers
  • Once you have drivers and OS is working do a benchmark test or two (like userbenchmark) to make sure it's functioning. This is to make sure it's functioning before you waste time installing your favorite software
  • If you pass a benchmark test, set a restore point for OS
  • Do not use aftermarket AV programs "at least for a while." These cause shut down issues with version 1903 which is what you're getting if you're installing now. Many people claim these issues have been resolved. I am more skeptical. BSOD and shutdowns are among the symptoms.
  • Do allow the updates to happen
  • Set restore points every day or two until you are confident system is working
  • Continue to refuse hookups to MS on line accounts and utilities, disconnect search bar from internet,

Jul 23, 2019
hello, but for 2 days the people i drove my PC to were leaving it on overnight for benchmarking, testing hardware and they found no issues at all. they said its working the best it can, this was 48 hours of constant testing and they found NOTHING. i just cant believe this, and then i come home with it today and 3 hours later it happens to me again.. they had my pc running just like i am running it right now as well, so i dont understand.. the only antivirus i have is malwarebytes, but i dont even have it turned on at startup, or ever really until i need to do a scan. and i have not used it or turned it on at all since day 1 when i just installed it.