Question PC Hibernates, won't wake up, or shut down.

withered3eye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
As Title states, pc ran good for a few years, about to turn 3. Seems like parts aren't getting enough power. I replaced the CMOS battery at one point and that seemed to help for a few days, then the problems came back. Would it be a psu issue? Graphics card had a blinking white light on it, but that seemed to go away after I updated drivers. The power supply was replaced a year ago with a corsair 650w I got from best buy. I recently turned off hibernate and sleep altogether, with no screen saver. It ran fine for the last week, I shut it down last night and then today it just started going into that off state where peripherals have no power and nothing on display, fans run and lights on but holding the power button won't shut the pc down. Only way to shut it down is to flip the psu switch which I don't want to continue to do. Any direction would be appreciated, Thank You.

withered3eye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
As Title states, pc ran good for a few years, about to turn 3. Seems like parts aren't getting enough power. I replaced the CMOS battery at one point and that seemed to help for a few days, then the problems came back. Would it be a psu issue? Graphics card had a blinking white light on it, but that seemed to go away after I updated drivers. The power supply was replaced a year ago with a corsair 650w I got from best buy. I recently turned off hibernate and sleep altogether, with no screen saver. It ran fine for the last week, I shut it down last night and then today it just started going into that off state where peripherals have no power and nothing on display, fans run and lights on but holding the power button won't shut the pc down. Only way to shut it down is to flip the psu switch which I don't want to continue to do. Any direction would be appreciated, Thank You.

withered3eye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
Have you gone into power plan and turning off the Hibernate and sleep and have you updated all your drivers inclduing bios and such
Yeah. Turned both off last week and Screen saver, it ran for like a whole week, I shut it down last night, and now its hibernating or losing power, and just runs in a weird state where i can't wake it up, or shut it down. Only thing I can do is flip psu switch to try to get it running again, which I did recently and it ran for maybe 15m and same thing again.

Yeah. Turned both off last week and Screen saver, it ran for like a whole week, I shut it down last night, and now its hibernating or losing power, and just runs in a weird state where i can't wake it up, or shut it down. Only thing I can do is flip psu switch to try to get it running again, which I did recently and it ran for maybe 15m and same thing again.

Could it be computer case that connects to reset SW pins because if it was PSU issue then would not even make it to boot screen if its not getting enough power. Maybe computer case on switch is faulty

maxresdefault.jpg

withered3eye

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2013
Could it be computer case that connects to reset SW pins because if it was PSU issue then would not even make it to boot screen if its not getting enough power. Maybe computer case on switch is faulty

maxresdefault.jpg
Everything appears to be connected, even if it was a switch though, why wouldn't mouse or keyboard interaction wake it up(those settings are on, I checked), it shouldn't just lose power like that but also stay running without a good option to shut it down. When its running normally, the power button works clearly as I have shut it down with a press. Holding power won't shut pc off though, I'm baffled.

Latest posts