PC Home server for computation?

sp5385

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
I currently work on a Macbook and or Mac desktop, but I'm moving into new software that is only supported for PC. I'm also having performance issues running some computations on my Macs. My theory is that I can set up a powerful PC as a home server and load all of my software on it, then access it from my Macs to work. I have no idea if this is possible at all but I'm trying to avoid upgrading to a Pro for performance, as well as buying a windows laptop for specific software. Is this doable? TIA

kanewolf

Titan
What software? It makes a difference on what is the optimum hardware. Excel will only beneficially use 6 - 8 cores. Matlab will use all plus GPU with the right toolboxes.

You would need the physical host plus appropriate network hardware to establish a VPN.

It is not clear from your post if you are an independent contractor or work for a company. If you work for a company, you better have something in writing that permits you to use this home server for their work.

sp5385

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
I use Matlab, CREO, Excel, openWind, R, Mathematica, LABview, and Ansys primarily. Occasionally, I work in Solidworks, Autodesk, Armsoft, and mathematica. I'm having the most trouble with Excel, Matlab, and openWind. I find it odd that Excel is causing such a slowdown, but I am running several million data points through sorting calculations at a time.

So if I understand you correctly, I could set up a physical unit as a server with the software and then access it via VPN to work?

I'm an engineering researcher so while some of material is proprietary to the university, it is all of my own work and I'm free to use at home as I need, as long as I'm responsible with security.

Do you see any restrictions with accessing a PC from a Mac for this?

Sorry for all of the questions! :-/

kanewolf

Titan
Solidworks and Autodesk would NOT be candidates for remote usage. Graphic intensive software is not optimal for remote access. I was in a thread before and recommend that tests be run using Amazon cloud servers. You can rent any size server with and without GPUs. You can then test your performance and see if you will get an improvement.

sp5385

Prominent
Feb 9, 2018
Ok, I will contact AWS. I would assume CREO wouldn't work for remote usage either? It's essentially the same as Solidworks so I don't think there would be any difference in graphics usage. Thank you for the information

USAFRet

Titan
Another consideration if running all this on a home server is security.
Open up your firewall and router for your use...you may be opening it up for someone else.

It can be done, but you have to be really, really careful.
Let AWS handle that stuff.