PC Image on TV Screen Is Square Rather Than Rectangular?

I use S-video port in my nVidia GeForce2 MX400 to show TV program from
my PC to a TV. This sort of works. But I have found one small problem.
The video image is square rather than rectangular. What seems to be
happening is that:

- Seem like the video from my DirecTV decoder box is square rather
than rectangular.

- When the TV shows a TV program in TV mode (using signal from
DirecTV decoder box), it cuts off some of the top and the bottom of
the square video image to make the video covers the entire rectangular
TV screen.

- When the TV shows the same TV program in Video mode (using signal
from the S-video port of my PC), it tries to fit the entire square
video image on the rectangular TV screen. This makes the screen small
because the video image doesn't cover the entire screen.

What should I do to make the video to cover the whole screen when I am
in Video mode in order to make the screen looks bigger? Is there a way
in nVidia settings that I can try? I cannot find anything in nVidia
settings that can do this.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

jaykchan@hotmail.com (Jay Chan) wrote in message news:<c7e5acb2.0405240859.54acb251@posting.google.com>...

> I use S-video port in my nVidia GeForce2 MX400 to show TV program from
> my PC to a TV. This sort of works. But I have found one small problem.
> The video image is square rather than rectangular.

I had a similar problem the other day when I tried to show a
slideshow from my PC to my TV via S-Video. All I did to solve it was
right click on my desktop, go to "Display Properties" and "Settings",
then change the "Screen Resolution" to 1024x768. The borders are a
little bit bowed (and I have no idea how to fix that, but I was able
to just ignore it), but the resolution and aspect ratio looks
identical to my PC monitor.

P. K. Kid
Non-commercial stereoscopic 3D video:
(All G-Rated) http://www.puppetkites.net

> I had a similar problem the other day when I tried to show a
> slideshow from my PC to my TV via S-Video. All I did to solve it was
> right click on my desktop, go to "Display Properties" and "Settings",
> then change the "Screen Resolution" to 1024x768. The borders are a
> little bit bowed (and I have no idea how to fix that, but I was able
> to just ignore it), but the resolution and aspect ratio looks
> identical to my PC monitor.

Glad to hear that you have found a way to get around with that problem
in your PC. But I don't think I can use that tip. The reason is that
the only allowed screen resolution for TV mode in my nVidia video card
is 800x600 -- no more, no less. I can set it to 1024x768 -- but only
in analog PC display mode, not in TV mode, and as soon as I change to
analog PC display mode, the TV screen will go blank. Oh well... Seem
like I may have to live with viewing a square image.

Jay Chan

Jay Chan wrote:
>I use S-video port in my nVidia GeForce2 MX400 to show TV program from
>my PC to a TV. This sort of works. But I have found one small problem.
>The video image is square rather than rectangular.

You'll need to get TV Tool software. This will let you adjust the screen
size to NTSC or PAL specs. It also offers interlace and improves the image
quality a ton.
www.tvtool.com

Craig H.

> You'll need to get TV Tool software. This will let you adjust the screen
> size to NTSC or PAL specs. It also offers interlace and improves the image
> quality a ton.
> www.tvtool.com

I have tried a demo version of Tv-Tool. It can do exactly what I ask
for here: Fill the whole TV screen with video image while maintaining
the correct espect ratio. Thanks for the suggestion.

I am still thinking of whether I should purchase Tv-Tools. On one
hand, it can fill the TV screen; on the other hand, I cannot get it to
use both PC screen and TV screen at the same time yet. I will have to
play with it and the nVidia display driver to see if I can get more
out of it.

Jay Chan