Question PC immediately restarts on the power test

Dec 13, 2021
Hello!

My pc has been working great for a while but until only recently it started restarting out of nowhere and I have no idea why. The times it would restart are when I play games such as Black Desert Online or Guild Wars 2, Gw2 seems to be fine when I run everything on low details but when I play Black Desert Online it seems to restart within 10ish minutes. I've seen people recommend OCCT for stress testing so I figured I would give it a shot and the first test I've ran completely restarted my pc within the first second. Everything within OCCT was default, I just simply ran a normal default test as I just installed it and it restarted my pc within 1 second.

PC Specs

OS - Windows 10

CPU - Intel core i5-4590 3.30Ghz

Motherboard - MSI Z97 PC Mate (MS-7850)

RAM - 8gb pc3-12800 ddr3 kingston + 4GB pc3-12800 ddr3 a-data technology

GPU - Zotac GTX 1070 mini

PSU - NAXN 500w (tomahawk II)

Storage - Western Digital 1tb HDD (wd10ezex)

SSD - Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb

(if you need any more information please lemme know)

PC Restart:

Doing simple activities like watching Youtube/Netflix won't trigger anything to restart but when I find playing intensive games like Black Desert Online, Guild Wars 2, and even Counter-Strike Global Offensive it restarts within 10-20 minutes. I've tried a dozen "fixes" but nothing works such as changing my power plan to never turn off my hard disk, turning off "turn on fast startup", switching to max power in the Nvidia control panel, updating my drivers, etc. I checked to see if there were any files in minidump but it was empty, yes, I have it enabled

Also a possible helpful note, afew weeks ago I heard hums coming from my system suspecting the PSU but it stopped after sometime.

Looking within Event Viewer I keep getting event 41: Kernal Power' - "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly

Below are the details within the event.

EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongowerButtonPressDetected false

If anyone could help me that would be wonderful! thanks so much <3

Drew125

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2014
Your issue is going to be 1 of 3 things

1. Cpu over heating, id recommend running hwmonitor to make sure the cpu temps are not higher than 70 to 79C. You throttle around 80 to 88C and turn off at 90 to 100C
  2. The power supply can't keep up and it shuts down due to low power. The only way to test this is to replace the PSU with a new one. Id recommend no less than a bronze rated power supply.
  3. A mix of the above.