[SOLVED] PC improvements and 100% CPU

Jul 19, 2020
I have an i5 9600k, 1080 gpu, 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz and a b365m mortar motherboard. I cant overclock my cpu due to the motherboard. Are there any things i can do to overclock any parts? Anything I can do to improve my setup in general? Anything relativekt cheap I can buy to improve?
Also when i play games my CPU goes up to 100% usage. How do i stop this!!??
THANKS SO MUCH FOR HELPING I AM VERY BAD AT ALL THIS

Solution
Do you know any cheap z motherboards that i could buy , preferarably under £100 and will be able to overclock on.? Thanks
I'm not gonna recommend what I think is better but will answer your question with what I think might suit you.

Your processor will fit a Z390 mobo. Any Z motherboard will allow overclocking so no stress there. That's why Z chipset mobos are sold as premium as they have that feature.
The cheapest I can find for under £ 100 is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, on Scan; Amazon seems more expensive.
Note, buying a Z390 mobo will automatically have you buying a better cooler if you are going to overclock the CPU. A decent cooler will set you back a minimum of 40 quid. So if you're willing to spend that extra...

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
FYI, K in Intel means unlocked/overclockable. Buying it without a Z mobo is like buying an S-Klasse Mercedes with a 1.6l engine. Buy the cheapest Z mobo out there, you'll do much better. CPUs can stay at 100%, i mean that's what's there for. Some games can do that but not constantly, only when loading content

Jul 19, 2020
FYI, K in Intel means unlocked/overclockable. Buying it without a Z mobo is like buying an S-Klasse Mercedes with a 1.6l engine. Buy the cheapest Z mobo out there, you'll do much better. CPUs can stay at 100%, i mean that's what's there for. Some games can do that but not constantly, only when loading content
Thanks. I will make a Z motherboard my next improvement! Anything I can do meanwhile, like turbo on cpu or overclcoking gpu?

Jul 19, 2020
Do you know any cheap z motherboards that i could buy , preferarably under £100 and will be able to overclock on.? Thanks

Your cpu already boosts to 4.6ghz, as already stated replacing the motherboard would be a pointless exercise in cost vs performance gain.

You may hit 5.2ghz with a new board and a £40 cooler, that's not really going to gain you anything significant.

What exactly are you hoping to gain?
Is your performance currently subpar compared to your expectations??

What monitor are you actually running?

Reactions: Flayed

FreeMan Alex

Honorable
Aug 27, 2014
I'm not gonna recommend what I think is better but will answer your question with what I think might suit you.

Your processor will fit a Z390 mobo. Any Z motherboard will allow overclocking so no stress there. That's why Z chipset mobos are sold as premium as they have that feature.
The cheapest I can find for under £ 100 is the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, on Scan; Amazon seems more expensive.
Note, buying a Z390 mobo will automatically have you buying a better cooler if you are going to overclock the CPU. A decent cooler will set you back a minimum of 40 quid. So if you're willing to spend that extra cash, yeah, go for it, satisfy your curiosity. See for yourself if investing the money and OC'ing will work for you. This way you'll be able to judge for yourself if OC'ing for the extra cash is worth it or not.

Solution
Jul 19, 2020

Note, buying a Z390 mobo will automatically have you buying a better cooler if you are going to overclock the CPU. A decent cooler will set you back a minimum of 40 quid. So if you're willing to spend that extra cash, yeah, go for it, satisfy your curiosity. See for yourself if investing the money and OC'ing will work for you. This way you'll be able to judge for yourself if OC'ing for the extra cash is worth it or not.
Thanks sooo much. I think I will try out the motherboard, hopefully it will be worth it!

Jul 19, 2020
Your cpu already boosts to 4.6ghz, as already stated replacing the motherboard would be a pointless exercise in cost vs performance gain.

You may hit 5.2ghz with a new board and a £40 cooler, that's not really going to gain you anything significant.

What exactly are you hoping to gain?
Is your performance currently subpar compared to your expectations??

What monitor are you actually running?
Yes my CPU is going at 100% Usage and my frames are dropping a lot in game. I Presumed that was the fault of the CPU considering my ram is at around 30% and my gpu at 20%.
I have a 60Hz monitor atm but I’m planning on upgrading to a 144Hz soon.
Thanks for helping out!

If you're hitting 100% cpu usage and your GPU is only at 30% then there is some issue there. The 9600k is a capable cpu, it should be powering a 1080 with no trouble at all.

You need to give us some more information and examples of whats actually happening in different games etc.

If you're running with vynsc off (max fps) on AAA titles that are heavily mutithreaded I can see the 9600k getting close to 100% usage but your GPU usage should be close to maxed out too and your ram usage would be well over 20%.

To me it sounds like you may have temp issues and your cpu is throttling speeds

What cpu cooler are you using?
Must be an aftermarket because the 9600k doesn't come with one.

The 9600K is going to have high CPU usage even more so with a good GPU at only 1080P, so unless you are suffering from stutters and are unsatisfied with frame rates, I'd not worry about purely usage 'ratios'. A weaker GPU will have less usage, as will playing at higher res/details/quality, and a CPU with more than 6 threads fares better.

The 9600K is going to have high CPU usage even more so with a good GPU at only 1080P, so unless you are suffering from stutters and are unsatisfied with frame rates, I'd not worry about purely usage 'ratios'. A weaker GPU will have less usage, as will playing at higher res/details/quality, and a CPU with more than 6 threads fares better.

Unfortunately there's an obsession with cpu/gpu usage with pc owners.

I've seen people spend more time looking at screen performance overlays during a game than actually enjoying gaming.

I pretty much use a screen overlay once per game title to choose settings to maintain a solid 60fps, once Im happy I switch the overlay off and forget about it.

I can't see a scenario where he could pull 100% cpu usage and only 20% gpu though, maybe csgo or similar on very low settings which is madness on a 60htz 1080p screen anyway with a 1080.

Personally I don't get the obsession with performance statistics.

TRENDING THREADS