PC in attic and router on main floor

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
First off I was going to have my router in my attic since there was a coax cable but that doesn't work, must have been spliced through the wall or something. I love gaming and streaming on my setup so I only want the fastest connection I an get to my PC. Internet speeds 100 down and 24 up

1st option:
I've looked at power line adapters which i'm iffy about, does anyone have any experience with these? Do they perform well compared to a direct Ethernet connection?

2nd option:
Now I may be wrong about this but, I would get a good router like this one either put it into my garage or attic which ever is better. This router would use a wireless to connect to the main router and repeat the connection so I could use a wired connection through the second router.

tl;dr
What is the best way to have a good connection(gaming experience) from my main floor to my attic.

Solution

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
Hello,

For the first question: I just moved into a new house. My router is on the first floor and my PC is on the second floor. I have SLI GPU and do not have a WLAN connection on my motherboard so i have to hardwire. What i ended up doing was getting the AC to LAN adpaters and I have had absolutely no issues. The only thing i can say is you will not be able to run it from a Surge protector. From my experience it has to be plugged into a wall. I ran a speed test and was able to confirm my speeds are right around the range that they are when im hardwired.

For the second option getting a wireless access point(WAP) may not be a bad idea. The only issue i forsee is once you hardwire into the WAP, your connection speed is going to depend on the wireless connection speed from the router to the WAP. So in theory you would not get hardwired speeds only wireless speeds.

For gaming, i would reccomend the AC to LAN as it is not only a cheaper option but it also works quite well!!

If you have coax in each location you could look into using moca over the coax. It in my opinion is better than power line LAN. To do this you would need an Ethernet to coax adapter on each end, from router out and on the other end to convert cox to Ethernet. Also will likely need to replace any splittersin between, just google moca splitter, its normal coax splitter but with more frequency range.

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014

Its a cat5e

Ill look into it, thanks for suggestion !

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014

Only problem is as I stated before, is that the coax cable in the attic isn't working and I see no easy way to fix it

The success of the powerline adapter will depend entirely on the wiring in the house. As stated if you use a wifi range extender and then plug the computer into that, your speed will be limited to the wifi speed. I have one of these for 1 of my computers and it works fine, but it is not a gaming pc.

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014

I'm really starting to lean to your suggestion, can you possibly suggest one maybe one that you used? or even a better one. I did forget to mention that I am going to have 1 other pc and a ps4 so i will have to buy multiple, but i'm not sure how that is going to work if I cant use a surge protector

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
if you don't buy these cables from good manufaturer they may turn out faulty.
now you have a cat5e cable which have 4 twisted pairs.
you can make a simple test kit with spare wires. a power source about 10 volts should do (cat5 is capable of 48VDC 400mA) and a light. check what wires are okay. if you have 4 wires good you can use the current cable.
if previous fails use the existing cable to insert new. :D and do it slowly. you can use some oil to make cables slippery

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014

Ahh I see, this is what I was afraid of. I get very poor connection with my phone up there and I can't imagine how bad gaming would be.

From what I understand the powerline adapters use the ground wire in your electrical system to transmit the signal. If you have multiple computers to connect, you can get an inexpensive switch to connect to the powerline adapter, and your devices are connected to the switch. Nothing to do with a surge protector. Your devices can still be plugged into a surge protector, just not the powerline adapter.

imperialxgx

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016

I am using TP link now. they are as easy as just plugging them in. The cheaper verson but here are a few that i would suggest:

TP-Link AV200 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 200Mbps (TL-PA2010KIT)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Adapter-Starter-TL-PA2010KIT/dp/B00AWRUIY4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501875632&sr=8-3&keywords=Power+to+ethernet

TP-Link AV1200 Power Line Starter Kit, 3-Port Gigabit, Pass-through, Up to 1200Mbps(TL-PA8030P KIT)
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Pass-through-1200Mbps-TL-PA8030P-KIT/dp/B00Y3QYTS6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501875705&sr=8-6&keywords=Power+to+ethernet
40 dollar difference but gives you your plug back and also has more speed than you will ever need.

Solution

somesh101

Honorable
Jul 16, 2015
or you could use these to mount cable outside wall and paint the wire to look like wall. won't be too noticable

Plastic-Fixing-Clip-C-Clips-Wall-Mount-Cable-Clip-Square-Circle-Nylon-Cable-Clips.jpg

Sithex

Distinguished
May 7, 2014
Thank you all for the great suggestions and help but I think I might have to go with the power line adapter. I don't own the home i live in currently i'm just renting. I don't want to go through all the trouble to fish wires through my wall which is literally a bitch since there is no entry point to these (my attic is finished with tile and drywall). Buying the 3 access point adapter would give my the ability to move freely in the future without any hassle, assuming they work well :).