Question PC has inconsistent performance ?

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
Hey!

What can cause a PC to act differently every day?

One day it is smooth and feels nice to play on, but the next day it is laggy and games are almost unplayable.

I'm waiting for a ram replacement but I'm not quite sure that's gonna solve things.

Any idea what else can cause it ?

MOBO : B650 AORUS ELITE AX V1
CPU : RYZEN 5 7600X
RAM : 6000MHZ DDR5 KINGSTON FURY
GPU : RTX 4060
PSU : 750W PLATINUM BE QUIET
M2 : SAMSUNG 980 PRO AND SAMSUNG 980

I was thinking of getting a 1000w psu but could that be it ?

Last edited:
was thinking of getting a 1000w psu but could that be it ?
no.
the RTX 4060 should only require a 500-550w minimum and the rest of the system is no big draw.
waiting for a ram replacement
why?
has someone directed you to do this,
have you experienced errors running MEMTEST, etc..?
the other day it is laggy and almost unplayable
what exactly do you mean by "laggy"?
just frame rate drops,
stuttering during action,
textures not loading quickly?

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
no.
the RTX 4060 should only require a 500-550w minimum and the rest of the system is no big draw.

why?
has someone directed you to do this,
have you experienced errors running MEMTEST, etc..?

what exactly do you mean by "laggy"?
just frame rate drops,
stuttering during action,
textures not loading quickly?
No but I tried using only 1 ram module and things were better.
Didn't get any errors with memtest.

It feels like stutter/heavy input lag if I could describe it, feels like my mouse doesn't follow my inputs/movement and neither does my keyboard.
High fps/low ping and game feels like I'm on 60fps 300ms.

Last edited:

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
The PC shut down and re-booted while uninstalling ethernet driver, I had to uninstall it again.
Then jumped into a game on valorant and my crosshair profiles were missing.
I'm actually lost.

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
What ram slots do you have ram modules installed in?

They have to be placed in slots A2, B2 (2nd and 4th counting from cpu).
Yeah they are installed on A2,B2.

I've been having disconnects from discord aswell lately. Nobody else has as many dcs as me.
My bro which plays from the same house doesn't even dc once and I dc huge amount of times per day.
And sometimes disabling and enabling ethernet seems to make a difference to how pc feels.
Could NIC be bad?
I've formatted twice and it still happens. Cable is a brand new cat8.

I'm expecting a ram replacement and hoping that's the issue, but if there is a possibility NIC can cause that kind of issues I can just grab one for 20euro.
I'm highly suspecting my mobo because sometimes I have issues with usb's needing restart to work too but I'm not quite sure yet.

Last edited:

User1990

Commendable
Nov 12, 2021
I've also noticed my usb's sometimes malfunction.
Mouse starts clicking randomly or left click get's "stuck" completely.

Jun 5, 2024
Your PC acting differently from day to day can be frustrating, but there are several factors that could contribute to this behavior. Let’s explore some possibilities:
  1. Software Issues:
    • Background Processes: Sometimes background processes or applications that don’t shut down correctly can bog down your system. Make sure you don’t have too many programs open simultaneously.
    • Restart Your PC: The classic “turn it off and on again” advice is surprisingly effective. Restart your PC regularly to clear out any lingering issues.
  2. Driver Updates:
    • Check Drivers: Ensure that your drivers (especially for the graphics card, chipset, and audio) are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause performance problems.
    • Windows Update: Use Windows Update to check for optional driver updates. If needed, manually search for specific drivers from manufacturers.
  3. Malware and Security:
    • Malware: Malware can slow down your PC and cause unexpected behavior. Run a thorough malware scan using reliable antivirus software.
    • Security Software: Make sure you have a good antivirus program installed and keep it updated.
  4. Hardware Considerations:
    • RAM Replacement: While you’re waiting for the RAM replacement, it’s possible that faulty RAM could cause performance issues. Once you receive the new RAM, test it thoroughly.
    • Storage Health: Check the health of your M.2 SSDs (Samsung 980 Pro and Samsung 980). Use tools like CrystalDiskInfo to monitor their status.
    • Cooling: Overheating can lead to performance drops. Ensure your CPU and GPU temperatures are within safe limits.
  5. Power Supply Unit (PSU):
    • Wattage: A 750W PSU should be sufficient for your system. Upgrading to a 1000W PSU might not significantly impact performance unless your current PSU is failing or inadequate.
    • Quality: Focus on PSU quality (efficiency, stability, and reliability) rather than just wattage. Be Quiet is a reputable brand, so the 750W Platinum PSU should be fine.
  6. Gaming-Specific Issues:
    • Game Optimization: Some games may not be optimized well, leading to inconsistent performance. Check for game-specific updates or patches.
    • Game Settings: Ensure your in-game settings match your hardware capabilities. Lower settings if needed.
  7. Monitor System Metrics:
    • Use tools like Task Manager, MSI Afterburner, or HWMonitor to monitor CPU, GPU, and RAM usage during different tasks.
    • Look for patterns—what’s different on laggy days compared to smooth days?
Remember that troubleshooting is a process of elimination. Start with the basics (drivers, restarts, malware checks), and then delve deeper into specific hardware components if needed. If the issue persists, consider seeking professional help or contacting the motherboard manufacturer. Good luck!