Question PC incredibly laggy with only 50% CPU usage

Jun 6, 2022
Hi! I'm sorry in advance for any mess ups, this is my first time using the forum. >.<

I noticed that my PC becomes incredibly laggy when alt-tabbing out of certain games. When trying to type in discord when alt-tabbed out of a game, it takes almost 2 full seconds between me pressing a key and the letter showing up on the screen.

I've tried running the games in full screen and windowed borderless but the results are the same. I've also run the task manager and my CPU usage is only at 50% and the temperature never went above 52. My RAM usage is even less than that. My drivers are up to date.

Lastly, it seems to only happen with games on Steam. I've run Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and CIV 6 on steam and the issue occurs. But games like Genshin Impact, The Outer Worlds and RSS Extraction (not run off of steam) don't cause lag when alt-tabbing.

Thank you for any help and sorry again for any mess ups!

Specs:
CPU - Intel i7-10700k (Cooled with MSI MPG Coreliquid K360)
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z490 (Version 1.7)
RAM - 32gb DDR4
SSD - Crucial P2 1TB M.2 SSD
GPU - EVGA 3070ti
PSU - Corsair RM 750x
Chassis - Lian Li PC-011 Mid
OS - Windows 10, version 21H1
Monitor - 27" Acer Predator XB273U

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You'll need to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. How are you cooling that processor? Did you take note of the temps of your processor when it's at 50% usage? BIOS version for your motherboard?

Jun 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You'll need to list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

if you're on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. How are you cooling that processor? Did you take note of the temps of your processor when it's at 50% usage? BIOS version for your motherboard?
Edited!! Thank you!