PC Industry Concerned Over Lukewarm Windows 8 Interest

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]If you think WIN7 is so much better than VISTA, you would probably be surprised to know that WIN7 is built on top of the Vista Kernel.[/citation]
So is Win8

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
You could probably separate the issues with Vista into two major categories -

1. It was a resource hog. Windows 7 uses more resources than XP, but still a lot less than Vista, and when Vista launched, having at least 8GB of memory - which is what I'd consider to be the minimum when you factor in Vista's 3GB of overhead - was not yet common. It was also more taxing on the CPU and videocard.

2. Vista's default user account control configuration was harder to work with than the version that ended up in Windows 7. But maybe more importantly, there were few Windows apps available that had been built to work around those restrictions. So a lot of apps didn't work properly. I ended up disabling UAC after a considerable amount of frustration, and it was a lot easier to use the OS after that.

Windows 8 has a different sort of issue. It's an OS with an identity crisis. They knew that Metro isn't good enough for the desktop by itself. So the traditional desktop interface is still there. But it doesn't match Metro, and they won't let you completely avoid Metro either. So you end up with this Frankenstein's monster that doesn't really fit together well.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As has been said before, it really is a great shame that a few financially self-sufficient blinkered idiots are allowed to ruin a global OS by turning it into nothing more than a glorified store front, particularly in the current climate. Do they honestly think this is in the best interest of MS, given at the very least, we are seeing highly predictable headlines such as "PC Industry Concerned Over Lukewarm Windows 8 Interest".
They are going to look back and regret not isolating tablet/mobile/Store development - we're some way off 'requiring' this functionality to be included in a desktop. Tablet's/mobile's....that's different.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]esrever[/nom]Nobody is forcing you to buy windows 8. Go use w/e OS you want.[/citation] uh, you are WRONG. When Win8 is shipping and there is NO way to buy Windows7 (try buying Vista) - then YOU DON'T have a choice to NOT get a Windows compatible computer that is NOT Win8!!

*SO* How do you FIGURE what you are saying? MS is strong-arming METRO up our asses, they won't have Win7 available for the general computer user market... unless Win8 BOMBS so bad that, that MS scrambles to (A) continue to sell Win7 and/or (B) Win8.1 with the REQUIRED fixes ships in March.
Windows 8 Desktop Mode is so Frackin ugly... its like some 80s shit.

I just built my new i5-3570 system... guess what, it was EASY for me to use the $140 Win7Pro 64bit, then to wait a few weeks for the Win8 "upgrade" for $40 (since I have several WinXP CDs).

[citation][nom]bigdragon[/nom]Perhaps the PC builders should offer a choice between Windows 7 and Windows 8 to new customers rather than making the abrupt change on release day. That could help them stabilize sales. Give people a choice.[/citation] Sure... but I don't think that is going to happen unless the PC market revolts, throws-up and demand refunds from these crappy WIN8 systems.

[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Wait when am i supposed to care about windows 8 again next year OK i guess i'll put that on my calendar.[/citation] LOL!! I know, that is some funny crap. Like as if the PEOPLE would wake up in 2013 and say "by golly! Win8 is amazing!". Win7 users SOLD Win7 to others. There are NO people I know personally who wants to use Windows 8. There are many good things in Win8... but METRO, the ugly Metro-lized desktop mode (Now we have MODES) and stupid charms that do nothing to make things actually easier... hidden Start Buttons... stupid stupid.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]aggroboy[/nom]It's ME - XP[/citation] ME is not the same OS as XP... there is no connection between the two.

Windows XP is a skin-job upgrade over Windows 2000 and made easier to use for consumer.

And that "professor" from above doesn't know jack what he's talking about.

Win8 is not a beta of Win9. Win8 is very stable, smooth and has some excellent features. BUT Win8 has a lot of shit bolted onto it which ruins it.

MS is planning on Windows8 to save MS... there is less and less reasons to buy an MS OS. Gaming? Nope, buy a console. Browsing? Any phone, tablet or tonka toy has a web-browser... Windows not required.

Time to kill Windows.

PuckerFactor

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Typical that this thread ends up being what Windows version was better than another. The reason that there is little interest is because people aren't interested so much in OS's any more! (apart from some geeks here) You can narrow that down even more to "People aren't interested in Microsoft anymore" it's one of those company's that people have had to put up with to run their programs or Office. Microsoft is becoming irrelevant in today's computing world. They are a throw-back to an older generation of thinking and they will sink unless they come up with something revolutionary and I we haven't seen any sign of that happening for a long time. Windows 8 is a desperate attempt to catch up...and it shows!

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Change is one thing. You can do it slowly. Like 32bit to 64bit. 64bit XP was horrible due to lack of driver support but now it very uncommon to have 32bit 7.[/citation] XP 64 bit was my favorite OS I only changed over to windows 7 due to direct x and trim support.

I only came across two things without drivers a printer and a camera in any case though don't blame the OS at all for that, but the manufacturers that skipped support for it because they knew 64 bit CPU's were new at the time and still not widely adopted yet the majority of PC world didn't own them so they waited until Vista/7 to add 64 support on the same damn device when the hardware side of things had caught up more, but then never went back and added support for XP 64 due to the same scapegoat excuse of not being widely adopted due to it being pretty much replaced by the newer Vista/7 OS launches.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[citation][nom]timw03878[/nom]My college professor told me something interesting..This is what Microsoft does now...It releases a "beta" of sorts for an OS.ME - 98Vista - 78 - 9The former being the beta "shit" test to iron out bugs all while costing you $$$And the later being the "good" OS after they've received feedback.I'm starting to think he's right on the money...[/citation] Windows 9 should probably end up being the refined patched up successor to Windows 8, but that's generally accurate.

New software tends to get patched up over time it might start out a bit rough around the edges slow and buggy, but is eventually hopefully is patched and optimized to be rock solid fast and stable by the time.

You see this all the time really look at GPU drivers and even sound card drivers they improve a lot over time in most cases especially typically within the first few months to a year the device was launched.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]DXRick[/nom]I don't see Win8 as a replacement for Win7. It is just a new OS for their new tablet. They have little else to do, since Windows and Office are their main products.It's not like they are going to stick a new version of DirectX in it that is incompatible with Win7, or release a new version of office that only works with it.I skipped ME and Vista. I will skip Win8 too.[/citation]
They have played the Direct X game before. XP could not run 10 to try and force us to buy Vista. Long live Open GL. OS X and Linux on STEAM, thank you very much.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
PC Industry Concerned Over Lukewarm Windows 8 Interest....

Lukewarm?

It is FREEZING, if M$ would announce a START button it could have a chance to get Lukewarm.

bs_37

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
As a long time user of Microsoft products including Windows (remember Dos), I am use to change, I even demand change.

What I don't want is change been imposed on me, what I don't want is to be made to buy new technology every damn time that Microsoft "changes" Windows.

I have just built a new (very fast) computer from scratch, I even installed Windows 8 to try it out to see if other peoples complaints were factual. Yes they were right and I could not remove Windows 8 fast enough. After a full clean install of Windows 7 I am happier.

When Windows 7 expires and is no longer supported by Microsoft I WILL be looking for other Operating Systems as an alternative.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]They. Want. You. Buying. Apps[/citation]
That is as maybe, but the fact that standard x86 software will run on it in a totally traditional desktop environment, coupled with programs like "ClassicShell" allowing you to get a Start menu and boot right into classic desktop, mean that what they want is irrelevant
Windows 8 for me will be a bunch of under-the-hood enhancements but I will use it exactly the same way I have used Windows 7

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It seems that Toms is full of people that dislike Windows 8 and if you post something positive... instant thumbs down. Hmmm!

P.s. Trying Windows 8 for an hour isn't going to cut it as you'll have a shock. Try it for longer and 'use' the thing and it gets better. As its stands it's WIndows 7 with a MCE interface

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bs_37[/nom]As a long time user of Microsoft products including Windows (remember Dos), I am use to change, I even demand change.What I don't want is change been imposed on me, [/citation]

I bet you loved the change from 3.1 to 95 then! Seriously... it's not as if Windows 8 is THAT different. Click the desktop icon and taa-daa!

vkg1

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I will never buy Windows 8 now matter how good it is. Metro is basically the same as Crapple products Mountain Lion ("Launchpad" UI) and iPad UI.

G

It is Microsoft's and Intel's fault for killing intrest in computers, Microsoft for trying to force feed a tablet interface onto the desktop, and Inte'sl fault for trying to Appleize the laptop with under powered ultrabooks!
The one component that remotely makes an underpowered ultrabook attractive is a thunderbolt port, just look at all the external GPU solutions that have been demonstrated, but no Intel was fixated on Apple, when they should hav been getting thunderbolt ports into regular laptops as soon as possable, being able to add an external GPU, or other devices, to a laptop computer is the holy grail of laptop sales! Intel did you really think ultrabooks would be ultra without thunderbolt ports!

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]vkg1[/nom]I will never buy Windows 8 now matter how good it is. Metro is basically the same as Crapple products Mountain Lion ("Launchpad" UI) and iPad UI.[/citation]

So... if MS doesn't keep up with the competition they'll be left behind and if they'd released Windows 8 with a few changes here and there I bet they'd get slaughtered in the press.

P.s. No-one is forcing you to install the 'apps' and there are benefits to Windows 8 over 7. I would list them but something tells me that you're not bothered. Shame.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]WinTelScrewUP[/nom] just look at all the external GPU solutions that have been demonstrated, [/citation]

How many people do you know that owns an external GPU for their laptop? Out of over 140+ people where I work, over here in the UK, not one owns an external GPU and probably none of them even know that they have the option.

P.s. Windows 8 is trying to jump start sales as everyone has a desktop or laptop... but not many have touch screens. Think about it...

G

damianrobertjones, Your attempt at WIN 8 damage controll makes me laugh, I and many others, could make good use of 10 Gigabits, (20 Gigabits Bi-directional) of high speed data transfer that one channel of thunderbolt offers, for all we know the people in your office may not need thunderbolt, but the folks in your office are not a valid random sample for statistical purposes! There are many other devices that make use of high speed thunderbolt and Graphics designers, audo and video, mathematicians. Any PCIe device can be plugged into an expansion box and connected to a laptop with thunderbolt and give it the computational power of a desktop!

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Sure, sure, but most users don't need the port just as they didn't need USB 3 or DP ports... . Just another peripheral selling device that we could have had years ago. Sure, it is a nice new facility and ALL machines will soon have it, but it's not exactly holding anything back.

P.s. Nice name change there :)

G

damianrobertjones, apologist for the for the WinTel screwup, Hay, I would be happy with a 10 gigabit ethernet port on my laptop, PCIe can be tunneled over ethernet Too, just look at the Cloud computing folks, they have been using PCIe devices connected through 10 gigabit and faster ethernet for some time now. Your most users statment does not hold true but for anyone but you!

Status
Not open for further replies.