PC Industry Concerned Over Lukewarm Windows 8 Interest

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]It seems that Toms is full of people that dislike Windows 8 and if you post something positive... instant thumbs down[/citation]
Apparently, even if you find a way to reinstate the Start menu and use all the under-the-hood improvments in a classic desktop manner, they still hate it
That is what is known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face"
Lots of people said exactly the same thing about Vista and even Windows 7, "They will have to pry XP from my cold dead hands" and such like
Give it till Service Pack 1 and watch the resistance ebb away to an extremist mutter as every opposition point is countered, even people that don't want to touch their desktop screen can replace the function with a multi-touch "mousepad" like the one Logitech have released
[citation][nom]izajasz[/nom]same as others. Ill buy only when there will be an option to disable metro.[/citation]
Define disable, if you mean uninstall completely then no, if you mean a way to suppress it at boot-up so it is still there but you don't see it, along with a handy re-instatement of the Start menu then "ClassicShell" already does this, it is free and it works and as time goes by even more programs will appear that do more. Don't deny yourself the benefits of all the other improvements when the only real gripe people have is bypassable on the most elemetary basis.
I personally find it annoying that Windows Media Player was pre-installed with XP Home, but I certainly didn't use that as an excuse to not use it as an upgrade from Windows 98, I just downloaded Winamp (long time ago) and carried on
Windows 8 is exactly the same, you will not be forced to use Metro, you can bypass it, any x86 programs you have when you run them do so in their original Windows, your 5 years old copy of Photoshop will not be magically transformed into some unusable touchscreen edition. You will only have to use touchscreen Metro Apps if you yourself decide to download and use them.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I have no problem with Windows 8. I love it. People just need to drop this heated issue about windows 8. Nothing is strip. I also think that people are confused with x86 and WindowsRT. They are not the same.

Give it a rest you guys.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]cantisque[/nom]I bought a PC that shipped with Vista when it was new. I ended up installing XP due to the amount of glitches and niggles that Vista had. Plus it was slow when doing certain tasks and some software I had didn't work.[/citation]

So you used XP NO SERVICE PACK and was compairing it with Vista NO SERVICE PACK? Or are you compairing a Very mature OS with at the time a new OS?

XP had several many issues when it came out, that is why Win 6 was didnt come out till the end of the decade, vs when it was should have (2005-6). MS put all effort to fix XP and dev stalled on W6.

That said yes pre SP1 Vista had a few issues. Win SP1 is VERY close to 7. 7 did have a few more tweeks and much better prepaired drivers, because same drivers work for both 6&7.

Vista came out people and companies tried running it on equiptment that were slow with XP, then yelled at MS. Also 3rd party drivers were HORRIBLE. I still remember my in a class we were tasked with writing drivers for HP/Lexmark/dell printer drivers for 6. (3rd semester Cisco CNT students) and our product was MUCH more stable then theirs. (the college still uses the version the students wrote)
This isnt MS fault directly this was the IT community not wanting change. but demanding improvements.

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Apparently, even if you find a way to reinstate the Start menu and use all the under-the-hood improvments in a classic desktop manner, they still hate it...That is what is known as "cutting your nose off to spite your face"...Lots of people said exactly the same thing about Vista and even Windows 7, "They will have to pry XP from my cold dead hands" and such like...Give it till Service Pack 1 and watch the resistance ebb away to an extremist mutter as every opposition point is countered, even people that don't want to touch their desktop screen can replace the function with a multi-touch "mousepad" like the one Logitech have released
Define disable, if you mean uninstall completely then no, if you mean a way to suppress it at boot-up so it is still there but you don't see it, along with a handy re-instatement of the Start menu then "ClassicShell" already does this, it is free and it works and as time goes by even more programs will appear that do more. Don't deny yourself the benefits of all the other improvements when the only real gripe people have is bypassable on the most elemetary basis....I personally find it annoying that Windows Media Player was pre-installed with XP Home, but I certainly didn't use that as an excuse to not use it as an upgrade from Windows 98, I just downloaded Winamp (long time ago) and carried on...Windows 8 is exactly the same, you will not be forced to use Metro, you can bypass it, any x86 programs you have when you run them do so in their original Windows, your 5 years old copy of Photoshop will not be magically transformed into some unusable touchscreen edition. You will only have to use touchscreen Metro Apps if you yourself decide to download and use them.[/citation]
and no W8 will go down as another failure. This is a tech site, the people that read this are the ones pushing it out, writing drivers for it, have people believing they are "computer people" being told W8 is the worst thing in the world.
But wait till win 9 next year (win 8 just slightly different styling) be a HUGE HIT.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
[citation][nom]the_brute[/nom]So you used XP NO SERVICE PACK and was compairing it with Vista NO SERVICE PACK? Or are you compairing a Very mature OS with at the time a new OS?XP had several many issues when it came out, that is why Win 6 was didnt come out till the end of the decade, vs when it was should have (2005-6). MS put all effort to fix XP and dev stalled on W6.That said yes pre SP1 Vista had a few issues. Win SP1 is VERY close to 7. 7 did have a few more tweeks and much better prepaired drivers, because same drivers work for both 6&7. Vista came out people and companies tried running it on equiptment that were slow with XP, then yelled at MS. Also 3rd party drivers were HORRIBLE. I still remember my in a class we were tasked with writing drivers for HP/Lexmark/dell printer drivers for 6. (3rd semester Cisco CNT students) and our product was MUCH more stable then theirs. (the college still uses the version the students wrote)This isnt MS fault directly this was the IT community not wanting change. but demanding improvements.[/citation]
Windows XP was a disaster when it came out. I remember that as clear as day.
The NT code it used was such a close copy to VMS MS had to "donate" $150 million dollars to the developers.
And what's so bad about VMS?
It was built with security in mind, so Nvidia, ATI and anyone else who wrote drivers had to learn a whole new way to write their code to interface through application layers instead of getting access straight to the kernel like in previous versions of Windows. We didn't get decent drivers for the first year XP existed.
Oh yeah, and even "new" games less than a year old that ran fine on Win 98 that had used minute amounts of "legacy" 16 bit code simply wouldn't run at all on XP.
I can honestly say I kept using 98 for XP's first few years just because I was afraid I'd lose the ability to play those now "legacy" games.
But yeah, XP was a red hot mess on release.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
You know what? I hate to be the guy that told you so but... YEEEEEAAAAHHHH TAKE THAT YOU !"#¤%&/
JEEZ and I thought Apple stooped to the very lowest they can go!

I'm literally steaming, ripping off all my hair and banging my head against the wall wondering: WHY THE EFF DIDN'T YOU LISTEN YOU IDIOTS!!! AGAIN I TOLD YOU SO!!!

As someone else brilliantly pointed out. The gameplan for MS is to force everyone over from a near perfect experience W7, to a locked down tablet alike OS, for a very reasonable price so that afterwards they can RIP YOU THE EFF OFF with apps, addons, DVD/BluRay playback programs, codecs etc.

I downright refuse to upgrade until they come to their "senses" (if they have any). I don't want the UI to be turned off - I want it UI to be removed all together! Horrible fonts btw. Takes me back years!

Now I'm gonna get corny: Join me in the movement: SAY NO TO W8, WE DO NOT WANT YOU!!!

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I told Microsoft on their face book page to PLEASE bring back the start menu, as most users workaround "metro" with utilities such as the classic start shell....they deleted my comment. Seems they are intent to make your computer difficult to use.

In addition, windows"pro" does not have all the functionality that 7 pro has...dvd maker and media center are just two examples. Glad I used seagate disc wizard to snap shot my 7 install before I did 8!!! I shrank the volume, restored 7 to the created space and can now happily dual boot between the two :).
I have talked to 7 people this week that are looking for computers, all of them do not want 8 because of the "new" interface!!! Quit holding yourself back Microsoft ! This can be fixed via Windows Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.