PC Instability/ Crashes

commanderEcho

Reputable
May 2, 2015
A bit of back story.
Around last Christmas i bought a new graphics card (AMD r9 270) and power supply(EVGA 500b) and later after Christmas i upgraded my pc to windows 10(clean install). About 2 to 3 months after that i began experiencing some system instability just out of the blue. The instabilities are the system locking up/freezing with a grey/multicolored lined screen and the sound stuck repeating a half second section. Aswell as a weird screen shaking behavior. I originally though that this was caused by windows 10 however after reinstalling it and installing Ubuntu the problem persists. So, next I figured it was the graphics card and I RMA'd it. And sadly, when i received the new card the problem came back. However, during the time i didn't have the 270 i had to use my old card, a nvidia gt610 which doesn't require any connections to the power supply where the 270 does(a 6 pin) and there were no problems. So, i am now under the impression that perhaps the power supply is the problem.
Edit: Psu is not the issue.
Edit: Replaced the motherboard and still the problems reside.

Some extra knowledge.
The voltages on the +12v, +3.3v and the +5v rails are within the acceptable ranges.
I have not overclocked anything.
Temps are within acceptable ranges.
Running benchmarks on both the gpu and cpu cause no instabilities/crashes.
I tested the ram with memtest for 9+ hours with no errors.
The Hard drive reports no errors.
Some days it will crash while watching a youtube video and others it will be fine.
Playing games such as Skyrim, Civ, Total War(on max settings) cause no problems.
However, attempting to play KSP while using chrome will result in a crash(at the loading screen there is extreme screen shaking) almost 100% of the time.
Just simply using Ubuntu causes the issues.
I noticed when observing the voltages in HwMoniter that when the voltage to the card drops to .875v the screen shaking occurs but, when it's at .950v or above there are no problems. Just today the voltage to the card wouldn't drop below .950v even at 0% usage and the problem was gone but eventually it dropped to .875v and the problem immediately returned.

I plan on buying a new psu to see if that fixes the problem.
Edit:Buying a new psu did not solve the problem.
Edit: New motherboard did not solve the issue either.
Any discussion is appreciated.

commanderEcho

Reputable
May 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply will be ordering a new power supply soon.