[SOLVED] PC instantly shuts down while gaming

Jan 5, 2020
Hello all,

As the title suggests , i am having this issue for a few weeks with my PC and i can't quite tell what's causing it. My PC instantly powers off when i play certain games that are more demanding , such as Witcher 3.

What i have tried so far :

• fresh windows reinstall ( i am currently having windows 10 )
  • checked RAM for errors and none showed up
  • checked HDD / SSD , none showed so far
  • reinstalled GPU drivers and even used different versions
  • cleaned PC of dust as well as i managed
  • checked to see if cables are properly plugged in
  • CHANGED my PSU , i used to have a Bronze Seasonic 620Watt , i now own a 850 Gold Seasonic ( i initially thought this is the issue, but it seems it's not the case ) It does this with both power supplies
My PC specs are :

Windows 10
Aorus AD27QD monitor
FX-8350 CPU
990fxa-ud3 motherboard
1070 G1 gaming GPU
16 GB DDR 3 Ram Hyperx
1TB Seagate HDD and 2 x SSD
Seasonic 850 Watt PSU ( it's a new PSU i just got a few days ago )

To quickly describe my issue : When i game soething that's clearly taxing my PC more i'm experiencing an instant power off ( not the shut down procedure,not restarting, just an instant power off ).Thing is, i can never tell when it's about to happen,it's pure random,but it does seem to appear after "longer" sessions of gaming on certain games ( 1 hour + )

I installed MSI afterburner to check some temperatures and my CPU hovers around 79 celsius while the GPU around 65 to 72 ish. Are those considered high ?

What could be the issue ? Are there any other tests you would suggest ?

NOTE : One of my GPU fans is making a ticking / buzzing noise when the GPU itself starts spinning the fans faster depending on usage.Could this cause this issue ? Is it not cooling the GPU properly ?

Thank you for reading.

Solution
Gpu temps are ok and it shouldnt be the problem but your cpu is heating more than it should maybe your pc safety temperature shutdown is 80 (usualy ranges up to 100) check it in bios

also can try this: (this is for win 7 it will be similar for 10)
  1. Open the Control Panel
  2. Select Power Options
  3. Click on Change plan settings next to the plan that is currently selected.
  4. Click on Change advanced power settings
  5. Scroll down to Processor Power Management and click the + to expand
  6. Change System Cooling Policy to Passive
  7. Click Apply
also highly recommend getting better cpu cooler it is not smart to run your cpu at almost 80 degrees

jovan.draganovic

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
Gpu temps are ok and it shouldnt be the problem but your cpu is heating more than it should maybe your pc safety temperature shutdown is 80 (usualy ranges up to 100) check it in bios

2. Select Power Options
  7. Click Apply
also highly recommend getting better cpu cooler it is not smart to run your cpu at almost 80 degrees

Reactions: Senpusha
Solution
Jan 5, 2020

2. Select Power Options
  7. Click Apply

Thank you for the reply ?

I will be buying a new CPU and motherboard in a few months but i am ok to get a new CPU cooler if it will help.

Anyone of these would you suggest ?

Cooler master hyper EVO 212
Deepcool gammaxx 300

If I remember correctly, on the fx CPUs, 60 was considered on fire essentially. So I'm thinking your system is shutting down to protect the CPU.

You said you're getting a new board/CPU at some point. I'd make sure that it's compatible with socket am4 or whatever Intel socket you decide to go to. I will say that if you jump to ryzen, you probably won't miss your fx CPU.

jovan.draganovic

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
Thank you for the reply ?

I will be buying a new CPU and motherboard in a few months but i am ok to get a new CPU cooler if it will help.

Anyone of these would you suggest ?

Cooler master hyper EVO 212
Deepcool gammaxx 300
I would definitely go for Cooler master hyper EVO 212 it should do a decent job, i recomend not to consider Deepcool gammaxx 300.
and since you mentioned new cpu, what is your budget, i would recommend ryzen 2600 or 2700.
but i recommend to try what i said above and if your pc doesnt turns of that means the cpu temp was the problem.