RIG:
Ryzen 3 3200g
Asus Ex-A320m-gaming
Hyperx fury 1x8 2666
Asrock RX 570 (Sold for the CV650)
Corsair CV650 80 Bronze
WD Blue 1TB
Gigabyte SSD 120GB

Two weeks ago, my PC suddenly won't turn on. For anyone that knows the motherboard, it's got an "EXPEDITION" text with LED on it. Whenever I turn on the power, the text would only blink once with a blue light then nothing. However, I did notice that the LAN port LED would light up with steady green. Whenever I take the system unit for warranty, It would magically work whenever they test it, that's when I noticed that the system would only turn on after probably 6-8 hours of being unplugged.

At first, I thought that my power supply has gone bad (I was using a Aerocool Rave 600w that time) so I tried doing the jumper thing and everything powers up but the motherboard and CPU fan, but since I don't have a multi-meter, I still wasn't sure if it still supplies sufficient power to the MOBO. Unfortunately, I currently lack the funds to purchase a new one so I sold my GPU for the CV650 and replaced the rave 600w since I still have the iGPU to hang on to. The system worked after replacing the PSU so I decided to test it and shutdown the system. Then <Mod Edit> hits the fan again.

Now, I'm thinking that my mobo is faulty. I can't to send the unit to the shop for monitoring since I'm currently working from home and I can't afford to get unpaid; my only option now is just putting my PC in sleep so I could still do my job. I tried breadboarding the mobo, gently dusting it with a brush, checking for physical damage, reseating and changing the memory slot, reseated the CPU, checked my chassis power pin, even tried changing it guessing that would be the problem. Also, whenever I breadboard the mobo, jumping the mobo power pin doesn't work.

I'm planning to replace my motherboard once I get some funds but I hope that my gut is right on this one. Any fix suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the system?

When the system does turn on how long does it stay on?

Is that 6 - 8 hours of "downtime" consistent?

My thought is that some component is overheating and takes time to cool down. Maybe contract...

Do you see any error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History? Especially any that precede a sudden shutdown or BSOD.

Not directly related to power problem per se but I am wondering about that 120 GB SSD - is that the boot drive? If so, how full is the drive?

daVerms

Honorable
Oct 9, 2014
How old is the system?

When the system does turn on how long does it stay on?

Is that 6 - 8 hours of "downtime" consistent?

My thought is that some component is overheating and takes time to cool down. Maybe contract...

Do you see any error codes, warnings, or even informational events in Reliability History? Especially any that precede a sudden shutdown or BSOD.

Not directly related to power problem per se but I am wondering about that 120 GB SSD - is that the boot drive? If so, how full is the drive?

I bought everything brand new 6 mos. ago.

Yes, but there's also chance that it would turn off after trying repeatedly (can't really tell how many but would guess probably 15+ times), the 6-8 hours downtime was consistent and is sure to power up the system. I've read somewhere that there could be a short in the system hence the breadboarding and the mobo troubleshooting if you could call it that. I also gone to the extent of using a circuit cleaner on the mobo.

I saw one KernelCode 144 dated July 25th, 2 days prior to the problem, July 26th no error, July 27th (exact date when the problem happened) Just multiple "Windows was not properly shutdown" probably because I was troubleshooting that whole day.

Yes the SSD is the boot drive and it only contains my Windows 10 installation. All other software and files are in the HDD.