Question PC intermittently seems to freeze screen, though some background applications appear to still run ?

kingwfu

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Good afternoon, all! Recently, my newest gaming build (see specs in signature) has begun to periodically lockup without being able to use the Task Manager to resolve. I'm having to perform a restart each time the freeze occurs. I've normally experienced it when trying to run Twitch.tv, both through the standalone app and through my browser (Firefox), both while running games and not. The video player stops, but the stream chat will continue running. However, the browser itself is non-responsive, in that I can't move or close it. Since the addlink M.2 SSD is where my system files are installed, as well as certain games, I'm wondering if that's the culprit. My build is a variant of a mid-level build published by PC Mag in 2021 (Edit: This is a link to the updated version of the build for 2022 - https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-pc-build-guide/). They did update to recommending a WD Black SN770 1TB M.2 SSD, so this may further support the addlink SSD being the culprit.

Any suggestions for a permanent resolution would be appreciated.

Last edited:

kingwfu

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Update: I did a soft refresh of Windows and, so far, no issues with freezing. I added 16 GB of RAM to max my available RAM and awaiting the WD Black SN770 1TB M.2 SSD, which I'll have in the event the addlink SDD fails in the future. Sorry for the e-clutter, but I think the thread can be closed for the time being. Thanks!