Not open for further replies.

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Specs:
CPU: 3800x (rog ryujin i 360)
MOBO: Crosshair VIII Hero
PSU: RM750 (Corsair)
RAM/Memory: 4x 16GB G-SKILL Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz (F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)
Storage: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB, ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
GPU: 3070TI R
Case: NZXT H710i
Fans: 1x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 3000 RPM (140mm, Black)
6x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM, Heavy Duty Cooling Fan, 4-Pin, 3000 RPM (120mm, Black)

The PC will start to randomly react super slowly, and then become resistant to some tasks, but not others. For example, I can switch tabs in chrome but cannot minimize chrome or maximize other programs. I can also use most windows functions absolutely fine. This continues for about a minute, maybe less and then the PC just freezes. The mouse is still operational, everything is just unresponsive. The only way to resolve the issue is to hard reset the PC (hold down the power button), simply pressing the power button does nothing. The issue has recently occurred, soon after getting the current GPU and had considered the PSU being insufficient. I used a site (https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator) that calculated required PSU for a RIG and apparently, this PSU was sufficient (about 100watts over). Although, I would not be surprised if the peripherals I could not specify, my steering wheel and pedals mostly, were pushing it over.

Note:

This appears to happen indiscriminate of what I am doing. It has occurred whilst just using 2 chrome tabs and also whilst gaming. On occassion this has happened 3 consecutive days in a row (only once per day) and other times not occurred for over a week.

When I have experienced the PC beginning to run slowly, I have opened task manager, HWmonitor and resource monitor to see if there was anything particularly odd. Temps look fine, although I will grab a screen shot the next time this occurs. Resources don't seem to be under any particular stress (no more than usual) BUT. my CPU within resource monitor goes to 0% and there is only one process running I believe (can't remember which if any).

This had lead me to believe that the CPU was at fault as I had had some thermal issues with this in the past.

Also, now, when I turn on the PC it turns on as normal, 1 second later shuts down, the starts back up as normal.

Thank you for any good advise in advance.

------------UPDATE---------------
A couple of hours after making the above post, the issue occurred again, although, this time, it did not eventually freeze.
Resource monitor was showing 13% an wouldn't go any higher. Believe my clock speeds were about .5GHz.
Checked HWmonitor and saw that my CPU temps had spiked to 77C. High for what I was doing but not high enough to cause this issue, well, that's my understanding anyway.
Checked power options to ensure the minimum speeds were set too low and they were at 100%.

I imagine I have 4 options at this point.
Faulty CPU.
Insufficient cooling:
Fans - Doubt it but will check.
Poor contact - Possible, was careful not to wind the AIO on.
Some config somewhere that is adding a limit to the clock speeds.

Last edited:

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
hello! i have the same problem right now. could you solve it? could you tell me how?
Sadly not, I am still investigating the issue.
I have since bought new RAM and a new PSU to exclude these as being problematic. My motherboard has also been sent to asus for diagnostic and apparently no issues. Sort of at a loss.

Dec 27, 2022
I have read that some people solved it by uninstalling the NZXT cam program and/or the ICUE. I hope it helps you, bone that the PC restarts all the time for 7 months?

ps: I have also change the PSU and SSD but the problem persist. If you have some good news please tell me

Dec 27, 2022
the problem in the end seems to be that it was some software. I reinstalled windows and installed only the basics, then I was installing the programs that I use little by little and so far none have given me an error. The programs that I read that could generate this problem are the Asus Armory Crate and the Corsair ICUE. I did not install either of those two and for the moment I have been without the problem for 2 months. From what I understand, it is programs that manage Hardware things that cause the problem (Asus Armory Crate, Corsair ICUE, NZXT cam).

Status
Not open for further replies.